Upgrade: Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) to Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthijsv98

Distinguished
May 14, 2014
Hi,

Okay, I completely upgraded from Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit) to Windows 10 Pro (32-bit). Now i want 64-bit getting installed because I have 8 GB RAM which is not supported and i have a x64-based processor. My processor is fine with 64-bit, but now is my question: Will i keep my files? Just like upgrading Windows versions it will keep your files, does it work with upgrading too? NOTE: I can make a back-up

Thanks!

Solution

Do a clean installation. Just move your files from your backup when done.

You can use the windows media creation tool from Microsoft to download windows 10 64 bit Pro.

Do a clean installation. Just move your files from your backup when done.

You can use the windows media creation tool from Microsoft to download windows 10 64 bit Pro.

Solution

There is no upgrade path from 32-bit Windows to 64-bit Windows. You can only do a clean install. You can opt to install it on the existing drive (I think it moves the old version of Windows to Windows.old). It will keep your files in the sense that anything in your Documents folder will still be there. But all your programs, program settings (like browser bookmarks), data stored in the registry, etc. will effectively be wiped.

If you plan to go from 32-bit to 64-bit and are worried about keeping your files, i would suggest converting your 32-bit Windows to a virtual machine.
https://www.vmware.com/products/converter

Convert your existing machine to a VM on an external drive. Once you've created the virtual machine, install VMWare Player or VitualBox. Copy the VM from the external drive to your computer, disconnect the external drive, and make sure the VM actually runs. Once you've confirmed it runs, you can completely wipe the drive and do a clean install of 64-bit Windows. Then you can set up the VM again, and have access to your old computer's programs and files running "within" the 64-bit Windows installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.