No Post after unplugging VGA cable while computer on

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellofuglys

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
My computer was working fine until I unplugged the VGA cable while the computer was on. After the computer froze and I hard reset the computer now I don't even get a BIO screen anymore and no signal to the monitor. I have tried taking the CMOs battery out and confirmed that the monitor works but the computer won't post.

The computer uses on board graphics so the VGA cable is plugged directly into the Motherboard.

Can unplugging a VGA cable really damage hardware and cause the computer not to post?

Solution

If there is an electrical discharge or the port is bent or something similar, then yes a VGA port can cause the system to die. That is a pretty rare occurrence though, I unplug video cables on running computers all the time, there...

If there is an electrical discharge or the port is bent or something similar, then yes a VGA port can cause the system to die. That is a pretty rare occurrence though, I unplug video cables on running computers all the time, there is no real need to turn the system off to do that.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.