WIndows is unable to detect turned off TV over HDMI port

raidendex

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Recently I have upgraded my TV connected to the computer to a Vizio M55 4k one. While everything works fine, I am able to connect to it and run at 60hz etc, one issue is somewhat annoying about this new TV.

Previously I was able to power the TV on/off without windows loosing connection to the TV and thus resizing desktop etc. However, with Vizio when I power it off (still plugged in of course) it looks like HDMI port completely looses power and so WIndows resizes the desktop to be on just one screen (the primary monitor). Desktop icons go all over the place due to this and some 3D application may ever crash if this happens while they run.

I suspect this is just how this TV works and unless firmware on it is changed nothing I can do about it, but I wanted to check here if there is something I could possibly do about this to keep windows seeing both screens when i power off the TV same as when I power off the monitor.

For other parts of the system that may matter - graphics card is Geforce 980, 1440p monitor is plugged into the DVI port and the TV into HDMI. On TV I use the only HDMI port that is capable of 4k at 60Hz.

Thanks!

Don't see an issue here, every time I turn off any secondary monitor the system changes the primary display to the monitor that is active. The difference in how the screen acts when you do that depends on the resolution of the displays (if they are the same or different) and what setting you have them set to for dual displays for duplicating or extending and if you have any windows or icons on the second screen that you shut off.

raidendex

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

Never happens to me with normal monitors on DVI/HDMI slots. I always use extend mode for the displays and when you simple press power button on the monitor or TV the screen is still visible in Desktop Resolution window, as well, as the mouse can still travel there etc.

Again even the 4k 30Hz HDMI port on this TV behaves the same way. TV is off right now, yet Windows can see that 4k screen is there, I can move application windows there etc. But the 4k 60Hz HDMI port does not, Windows looses connection with the TV and doesn't detect it anymore once I power the TV off.