Windows 10: How to boot to safe mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith2000

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I need to boot to Windows 10's safe mode to fix a "system thread not handled (etd.sys)" problem. I followed the instructions in the following page but was not successful.

I couldn't try the first method because I could not log in Windows 10.
I tried booting from the Windows 10 ISO to command mode, entered the command "BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY", exit, continue, F8, selected Safe mode. I got the same blue screen with the same error message - "system thread not handled ..."

I then tried "BCDEDIT /SET {CURRENT} SAFEMODE" in the command windows. Still, it boot to the blue error screen.

What bothers me is that in the "advanced boot option" I did choose "Safe Mode" but still got the same blue error screen.

Any other way to boot to the safe mode? Thanks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569556/safe-mode-windows.html

Solution
If you are getting errors trying to boot to safe mode from the advanced boot options, then you are out of luck and need to reinstall in all probability. There is no other method of booting to safe mode, other than booting to safe mode from within windows, from the advanced boot menu or from the installation disk. It sounds to me as though you've forced an upgrade on a system that was too old to handle the OS, have a hardware failure or have installed an incompatible core hardware device driver that is necessary even for basic system operation.

It could also be that you simply have a faulty drive, memory module or motherboard.

Unfortunately, I think you're best and only remedy at this point is to attempt a repair from the advanced...
If you are getting errors trying to boot to safe mode from the advanced boot options, then you are out of luck and need to reinstall in all probability. There is no other method of booting to safe mode, other than booting to safe mode from within windows, from the advanced boot menu or from the installation disk. It sounds to me as though you've forced an upgrade on a system that was too old to handle the OS, have a hardware failure or have installed an incompatible core hardware device driver that is necessary even for basic system operation.

It could also be that you simply have a faulty drive, memory module or motherboard.

Unfortunately, I think you're best and only remedy at this point is to attempt a repair from the advanced boot menu or another installation.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.