How do you upload your music to OneDrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin82485

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I followed the directions given by Microsoft here, but I'm having problems because the folder my music is on is on the D drive. OneDrive is installed on the C drive. OneDrive only seems to read data off the drive it is installed on so it doesn't see my music.

I tried installing the OneDrive software to my D drive, but it just kept crashing.

I tried just manually dragging and dropping the music folder onto the OneDrive using Chome, but it stopped once it hit the 15 GB storage limit. I have 40 GB of music.

I thought I read that you can upload up to 50,000 songs and it won't count against your OneDrive storage, but I'm not having luck with this as it is counting it against my total space even though I am putting everything in a folder named Music on the OneDrive.

Getting really frustrated by this. I don't understand why this has to be so hard...

Solution
1. You can have a maximum of 50,000 songs in your collection to sync with Groove. If you hit 50,000 songs and somehow haven't reached your storage limit, you can't upload any more.
2. If you have a Groove Music Pass, you get an extra 100GB of storage on OneDrive.

Doesn't say anything about it not counting against your cap, only that if you have a Groove Music Pass (which you don't, given you mention a 15GB limit) you get an extra 100GB.

Basically, you can have 50,000 songs, or the files you do upload can take up no more than 15GB without the Groove Music Pass, whichever limit you reach first.
Not sure where you read that, but everything should count against your OneDrive cap. And (at present anyway) OneDrive only operates on the boot drive. You can copy stuff into OneDrive from another drive in This PC (browse to the files on the drive you want, copy them, then browse to OneDrive and paste), but they will sync back to your C drive. Doing it this way basically gets you 2 copies. In your case, the original on D, and the synced copy on C.

As soon as Microsoft re-introduces placeholders in OneDrive, you won't end up with that second copy. As for automatically syncing files from another drive, not sure.

kevin82485

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Here is the link that says you can upload 50,000 songs: You have to scroll down a bit. Probably easier to Ctrl + F to search for 50,000: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/groove/onedrive

I dunno, maybe I misread it. I figured they meant 50,000 songs with no space restrictions. I don't know how anyone could upload 50,000 songs and stay under 15 GB unless it is like 64 kbps quality.

I should note that I am wanting to upload my music so that I can listen to it on Microsoft Groove on my phone. Groove syncs with your OneDrive...guess I'll stick with with Google Music. I just don't like that Google replaces the tracks you uploaded with their version of the tracks if it matches the info in their database.

1. You can have a maximum of 50,000 songs in your collection to sync with Groove. If you hit 50,000 songs and somehow haven't reached your storage limit, you can't upload any more.
2. If you have a Groove Music Pass, you get an extra 100GB of storage on OneDrive.

Doesn't say anything about it not counting against your cap, only that if you have a Groove Music Pass (which you don't, given you mention a 15GB limit) you get an extra 100GB.

Basically, you can have 50,000 songs, or the files you do upload can take up no more than 15GB without the Groove Music Pass, whichever limit you reach first.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.