How to stop apps from moving from one monitor to another upon monitors wake up?

Tony Henrich

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2014
I have two monitors. One uses dual DVI cable and one uses DisplayPort. When the monitors wake up after a sleep, the apps on the DVI monitor move to the DisplayPort monitor. This probably has to do with the difference when Windows senses which monitor is active first.

Is there a way to stop the apps from moving? Is there a tool which restores the apps positions after a wake up?

Tony Henrich

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2014

IdijotSLO

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
@Tony Henrich I have the exact same problem, almost 3 years after you described it. Were you on Win 10 at the time? It only started happening to me after I went to Win 10 from Win 7. Also, I get a notification waiting for me in the telling me "G-Sync display connected" when I find my apps (usually WinAmp and Sticky Notes) on my primary screen.

Strange thing is, I also have a couple of icons on my secondary display but they stay right where I left them after this stuff happens. I might add that it never happens while I'm using the computer and that my settings don't allow either the screens or the computer itself to go to Sleep Mode. If anyone has an idea what's causing this nuisance, I'd be really happy to do away with it...

I've been advised to use an app called Actual Multiple Monitors, but that seems a bit much for such a "simple" problem. ;)