Pc repair for money

jballew7

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Doing PC repairs. So I was thinking about doing some local pc repairs in my immediate area. I'm pretty savvy with the stuff and have fixed several of people's that I know. However I wanna make some extra cash so I was thinkin bout advertising myself. Now, I'm not making a living here, just extra cash here and there. My question is, what should I do if something catastrophic happened? Say something broke beyond repair. I don't have insurance and not much extra money to replace people's stuff. Should I have em sign a waiver? Anyone else ever done repairs like this ?

Well, some of the repair stuff will no doubt be easy to trivial without issue. The troubling parts would be "find why computer crashes" with no real reason or logic to it. (as example broken ram stick, might take days between crash unless on totally heavy use and even then it could be mainboard or processor instead)

and since pretty much only way to test the more difficult things is to swap parts out to make sure which part is broken, there is always the issue of possibly breaking something. Taking care with parts makes that unlikely but since said parts can be expensive it is always a big risk.

if your just getting started i look at intern pc tech at local hospitals or university or larger corps. where i used to work at emc they had high school tech students working and learning tech skills.

McHenryB

Admirable
You need insurance; you can't afford the possibility of someone suing you if you break their computer. As for asking them to sign a waiver, that's just unprofessional. Would you trust your PC to someone who said "if I break it you get no compensation"?

Don't forget that, depending upon local tax laws, you may be liable for tax on these earnings.

jballew7

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Oh wow! Thanks for all the replies, I didn't expect them so soon. I'm probably just gonna stay away from it all right now. I cant afford insurance for a every once in awhile business. Full time student, full time job. And I don't wanna risk breaking someone's computer.. thanks everyone