Windows 10 not recognising secondary hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisboy

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
SOLVED: So for reasons I can't explain, changing around sata cables, power cables and sata ports on the motherboard eventually worked. For a while I could get one but not both to work, but I think they are both OK now.

My PC has three hard drives. A Samsung solid state drive (840 series) that has windows and all games / programs on it, and two older Samsung HDD's (HD753LJ, about 7 years old) that I use to store videos, photos, music etc. It had been working fine in this configuration with Windows 7 for years.

I recently upgraded to windows 10 (in place upgrade, not a clean install) which worked OK except one of the two HDD's was not found by Windows 10. After a couple of turn off / turn back on cycles it found it and was OK for a little while. However it stopped finding it again and now hasn't worked for a few weeks.

If I boot into BIOS it lists all three hard drives as boot options, but only two come up in disk manager / device manager / my computer within Windows 10. Is this a Windows 10 problem or is the hard drive dying? (The timing would be very coincidental if it's not a windows problem).

Solution
Hey there, Chrisboy!

Before flashing BIOS, I'd recommend you to try changing the SATA ports and the SATA cables of the drives. Maybe the cables are faulty and thus the HDDs are not supplied with enough power for Windows to recognize them. If that doesn't work, I'd check your motherboard manufacturer's website for any updates on the SATA/chipset drivers for your model.
Another thing that comes to mind is resetting BIOS by re-seating the CMOS battery or resetting the jumper on the mobo. ( http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS ) Keep in mind that this would get your BIOS settings back to factory defaults, so you'd need to re-configure them afterwards.

Good luck! Keep us posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, Chrisboy!

Before flashing BIOS, I'd recommend you to try changing the SATA ports and the SATA cables of the drives. Maybe the cables are faulty and thus the HDDs are not supplied with enough power for Windows to recognize them. If that doesn't work, I'd check your motherboard manufacturer's website for any updates on the SATA/chipset drivers for your model.
Another thing that comes to mind is resetting BIOS by re-seating the CMOS battery or resetting the jumper on the mobo. ( http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS ) Keep in mind that this would get your BIOS settings back to factory defaults, so you'd need to re-configure them afterwards.

Good luck! Keep us posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.