Windows 10 Idle Freeze/Hang

Exodusangel1

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
I don't know what's going on with this computer now. I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 and for some strange reason if i leave windows idle for no more than 10 minutes it decides to freeze hang. Hopefully someone can give me insight on this situation. I had problem prior to this such as freezing/Hanging/blue screens after waking the PC from sleep, but now it happens during idle. Suggestions? I hope its not my CPU or Mobo. Everything else i should be able to replace easily in time.

Solution
Could be a range of issues including:
Software, Maybe your windows OS is corrupt. It happened to me and it caused a range of issues like the ability to boot my PC stopped working
Could be RAM, try removing 1 RAM stick at a time a seeing if it freezes.
Try Clearing your CMOS battery and leave it out 15 minutes or so.

Kliqx

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Could be a range of issues including:
Software, Maybe your windows OS is corrupt. It happened to me and it caused a range of issues like the ability to boot my PC stopped working
Could be RAM, try removing 1 RAM stick at a time a seeing if it freezes.
Try Clearing your CMOS battery and leave it out 15 minutes or so.

Solution

Exodusangel1

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Apparently the problem came from somewhere in my BIOS. If you haven't checked your bios settings make sure you RAM timings are correct. Mine were set to AUTO which is where the problem laid. Check those settings first.

thekidzkid

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
The fix to this issue for me was to disable the scheduled task for defrag. If you open the Task Scheduler and then select from the tree on the left Task Scheduler Library --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Defrag you can then right-click the ScheduledDefrag task on the right and select Disable. This worked for me. Hopefully it does for you too.

Mehrdad_5

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
A temporary solution until you get rid of windows 10 is to run windows media player and play a song on mute and put it on repeat while your PC is on. It prevents freezing until you go back to windows 8 or 7.

ThatOneGirlTech

Commendable
May 1, 2016
NONE of those suggestions fixed my pc's Windows 10 idle freeze/hang issue. I have a custom-built by me Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit, AMD FX 6300 six core processor 3.5 GHz, 32 GB ram

All of the following things needed to be done for it to stop freezing/hanging:

In Windows, for both the network devices and audio devices:

Roll back the drivers to Windows 7

Turn off windows automatically downloading software and realistic icons

For ALL the USB Root HUB devices, audio and network devices that have Power Management tabs, went into each and UNchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Power settings for the pc in Control Panel changed to High Performance, and going thru each setting selecting "no sleep" and "Enable Wake Timers" and "USB Selective Suspend Setting Disable"

Crystal52209

Honorable
Feb 13, 2016

what did you switch them to?

Aaron Balton

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Same thing is happening to me on idle and in game but in game my computer completely shuts down and i have to turn my PSU off then on again. Has anyone found a good solution that works. I have no hardware issues with ram as my mobo tests ram and CPU and GPU before it boots. I have the Asus M5A99FX pro r2, Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 OC GHZ edition, FX8350 8 core black edition, 900 watts of bronze rated power and an SSD and HDD.

Crystal52209

Honorable
Feb 13, 2016

I think mine had something to do with computer going to sleep. I switched to where it would hibernate instead and haven't had the problem happen again recently.

Aaron Balton

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Okay so I will try that but it wouldn't explain why I have a complete shut down. It is like someone presses the power button to turn off my PC. I was told to change my USB 3.0 drivers to something different than the ASmedia it was on. It lessened the frequency of crashes in game but I still get the freezes from idle or basic tasks like youtube or google.

Karthikeyan_3

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

Although am not a computer whiz, I can tell you a simple solution.. Just do a clean boot, stop un-necessary programs running and FINALLY, enable a screen saver to pop up after 1 min of Idle time. The philosophy of Idleman mind is devil works here too.. Screensaver will prevent windows 10 from going crazy

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try updating drivers in pc and look if there is a new BIOS for motherboard

How about changing power settings in PC to high performance, set monitor/PC to never turn off, and in advanced power settings, set hdd to never turn off.

Those things help reduce the crashes in idle. A lot of time its just a new BIOS that is needed.

Some of the suggested fixes here are not helpful