New Windows 10 build. I have sound but the "Stereo Mix" is gone. How can I record what I'm listening to online. The old "Sou

bettygodda

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
I have a new build. I used to record what I was listening to online. Looks like Microsoft took that opportunity away. All I show now is Line in and microphone no "stereo mix" to record from. I've tried downloading a couple of stand alone programs but they seem to decide what I can and cannot record. I used to record songs off of you tube a for our senior chorus to listen to to learn the songs for a concert. I really need that feature back. I have audacity but it shows no link to record from, like I said in set up the stereo mix is gone. I'd appreciate any help. I can't be the only one with this problem. I have the new Asus Z97l plus Mobo and downloaded the drivers right from their web site.

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Hello,

Since Microsoft intentionally removed the Stereo Mix / Waveout Mix option from its drivers, you need to try to download the latest version of the sound card driver and install it. If you have an on-board sound card, go to the support section of the manufacturer of your PC (such as Dell/HP/Toshiba/Sony/Fujitsu/Lenovo/Acer, etc) and download an audio driver for your model of the PC that works with your Windows version.

Guinea Pig

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Hello,
I have the same problem.. I have been to the Lenovo site and under audio drivers I can't find anything for High Definition Audio Drivers listed. I have downloaded the driver from Realtek and it is in "installed programs" but not in my list of drivers. How do I activate it so that Stereo Mix shows up in my recording devices please?

Guinea Pig

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

You can get web based sound recorders. I use Apowersoft

https://www.apowersoft.com/free-audio-recorder-online

and it works just as well as stereo mix for what I want to do.