Have been trying to connect Sony Vaio with new windows 10 to WIFI, without success.

nosmiley

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
My desktop is working fine through the same Netgear 1000 router. The Sony Vaio worked fine with windows 7, same router, and we have AT&T as a provider. Her Sony says the WIFI is not turned on. Actually it is, and is 10 feet away from her computer, as it has always been. I have reset the router several times according to it's directions. The front light indicates it's working, showing a lit up WIFI light.
My computer repair man had to do a complete cleanout of her computer because of all the viruses. He added Windows 10 professional, after reinstalling Windows 7, and all of updates. It would not allow windows 10 without updates to 7. I think he used a Comcast WIFI he has in his business to download everything. He added a few of his own ideas, as he does to everyone else.
I have worked 3 hours trying to get it going without success. I turned off Airplane as the Sony directions say to.
Could AT & T have a block that doesn't recognize this Sony computer because of the new program? Or Netgear have a block for that matter ?? The online AT & T self help is virtually worthless, as It goes round and round, and doesn't seem to want to deal with WIFI
Than you in advance for your help. Repeating : Our AT & T account has been around since 2000, with DSL, and the Netgear 1000 has been here for 5 years at least.

I can't tell you for sure, but the most common answer these days has been that the PC was upgraded to Windows 10 before the necessary drivers were made available. Have you checked the Sony site (on another machine or a wired connection) for a specific Win10 driver for your model?

Gentleman Jim

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Find the make of your wifi card and what drivers run it then go to the website for those drivers and dowload the ones needed for 10 on a flash drive then install the new drivers via the flash drive. Sony indicated that it was behind in getting all of its drivers and software updated for VAIO so it may be a little bit, then I read today that another company bought the Vaio division so they would be working on this.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
Gentleman Jim and WyomigKnott, I had similar problems, with my NetGear wifi adapter, but when I went to NetGear support for updated drivers, their tech instead tried to hard sell me on buying Internet SecuritC ,that he said Microsoft's Techs had recommended. I told him diplomatically, that i was contacting the FTc, and our state consumer Fraud division and reported the company.i switched the pc toethernet and haven't had any problems.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

Nosmiley,Does AT&T provide Antivirus and malware programs for its customers?

gentlemanjim:: I formatted the drive of the pc having the problem, and installed a different Windows 7 with SP1.
windows update installed updated drivers for the adapters. I am thinking that the windows 10 download must have been corrupted.? i will keep it running windows 7 with SP1.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

Gentleman Jim, the reason I asked was when I went to that website,and selected the option: to create the ISO file,it was downloaded as a zip file.
I transferred the zip file to a flash drive, and burned it also to a DVD.
I am assuming that I must unzip the file in windows 10 to make a clean install?

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

Gentleman Jim: thank you for your most helpful solution.
simonchipmunk