Can't verify my identity on Windows 10, Catastrophic Failure.

DarienH

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I hadn't been able to sign in into the Xbox app, so I went into settings and Profiles and then to "Your Account" there was a message saying "You have to verify your Identity on this computer" and i press the "Verify" button underneath, after a couple of seconds this message pops up: "We couldn't log you on" "Catastrophic Failure". If I try again it says on the error description: "local device name is already in use". I have even tried to change to local account in order to sign up again into a Microsoft account, but when I do I'm not able to sign up with my Microsoft account because the link simply does nothing. Please Help! I'm really willing to stream my games on my pc.

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Hello,

Check if your Windows 10 is activated.
To check: Type PC Info on the start search box, under Windows, it will display the status.

As Microsoft wants you to provide a second email address and verify your account with the security code. You have to use a different browser and login into your microsoft account. To do so;

1 - Go to PC setting
2 - Go to accounts
3 - Press "verify" button
4 - On the down left press "cancel updates"
5 - Now another e-mail address will appear as a back up address, if you added it before,
then press " OK " button.
6 - Your code will be sent to that other e-mail
7 - Enter the code, this should verify your account successfully.

Alternate way;

1 - Go to PC settings
2 - Go to accounts
3 - Press "disconnect" button
Now you will change your account to LOCAL
4 - Enter your e-mail from Windows Apps
5 - Enter your e-mail & password
6 - Now another e-mail address will appear as a back up address, if you added it before,
then press " OK " button.
7 - Your code will be sent to that other e-mail
8 - Enter the code & that's it.

nswainify

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I have a similar problem but clicking the verify button under the message "we need to verify your identity" doesn't do anything. I am having trouble getting mail, store and calendar to work as a result. But I can't find any way to verify my account.

In other applications it just has an endless "just a moment" dialogue box.\

Any solutions?

jdecarlostlmo

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
I have a similar issue. I have received the "Verify your Identity on this PC" message. Unfortunately, for some reason I am locked out of Windows 10 Settings, Updates, Action Center, Etc. I was locked out when Windows 10 Preview Build 10565 failed to install on my PC. This was the first failed install of Windows 10 I have ever experienced. I tried getting help on the Windows 10 Insider Hub, however the most of the "Insiders" who responded to my question just hurled insults at me for not being able to solve it myself and expressing a negative opinion about their precious Windows 10 software. I'm very frustrated and would appreciate any help and advice you can give.