PFN_List_Corrupt BSOD help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElKappa

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Hey there,

I have been trying to fix a BSOD error of PFN_List_Corrupt for a few weeks now with my Windows 10 install. It's very random, but annoying. I've run memtest a few times with no findings. I've reinstalled various drivers and no luck. I just recently did a fresh Win 8.1 install to the SSD and then upgraded to Win 10. I am assuming I need to do another fresh install of 10, but before going through that, I thought I would ask the community if there was an easy PFN_List_Corrupt fix. I've searched around a fair bit and tried some of the suggested fixes, but so far, nothing has worked.

Verifier.exe puts me in a BSOD loop. Luckily, I had a system restore point and used that.

Here is a link to my three most recent Minidump files:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B4BF95F24B6E9113!1861&authkey=!ADSF2Gya0dkB-qo&ithint=file%2czip

Three different driver crashes here

- First one, the PFN_List_Corrupt (0x0000004e) caused by ntoskrnl.exe

- Second one, Nvlddmkm.sys

- Third one, Driver Verifier BSOD loop caused by aswsnx.sys (my Avast antivirus) as well as ntoskrnl.exe

Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
third bugcheck was caused by a corruption in a table that tracks what is loaded into memory from the page file. I would do the updates listed below before trying to figure this one out. Good chance it was just memory corruption caused by the old driver.

You might also consider, after you do your driver updates, to go into control panel, device manager and disable any sound devices that you don't actually use. For example, if you don't have sound coming from speakers in your monitor, you could disable your graphics cards sound support. (displayport and HDMI both support sound via a graphics cable) These un used sound devices can conflict with each other.
(use the same direct memory access channels) (more likely with older...
third bugcheck was caused by a corruption in a table that tracks what is loaded into memory from the page file. I would do the updates listed below before trying to figure this one out. Good chance it was just memory corruption caused by the old driver.

You might also consider, after you do your driver updates, to go into control panel, device manager and disable any sound devices that you don't actually use. For example, if you don't have sound coming from speakers in your monitor, you could disable your graphics cards sound support. (displayport and HDMI both support sound via a graphics cable) These un used sound devices can conflict with each other.
(use the same direct memory access channels) (more likely with older drivers)
------------
go to:https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/
update the BIOS, install the updated windows 10 drivers, reboot and see if you still get bugchecks. (most likely caused by a bad version of an audio driver, try the updated one)

second bugcheck was a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
caused by C-Media Electronics USB Audio Driver failing to respond.
here is the driver that did not respond:
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\CAHS164.sys Thu Jun 16 00:10:06 2011

I would look for a update.

machine info:
BIOS Version 2601
BIOS Release Date 03/26/2015

Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product MAXIMUS VII HERO
Version Rev 1.xx

Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3800MHz
Current Speed 4016MHz

-----------
most current bugcheck, looks like the machine rebooted and crashed attempting to load
avast! Virtualization Driver, verifier detected a error but most likely not caused by the driver. Your system up time was 3 seconds. (find out why the CPU reset)
file was:\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\aswSnx.sys Thu Jul 09 03:27:06 2015
could not read machine info from BIOS. will look at other memory dumps.

Solution

ElKappa

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

So far, so good. The C-media thing was my USB headset which was... not my first choice as to what would be causing a problem. BIOS updated easily and so far, things are looking good. I will ride it out a few more days and get back to you.

The third bugcheck was when I was trying to run Verifier and I was just getting non stop BSOD on boot. So I am hoping that's just something else, because I heard Verfiier will do that sometimes.

updating the BIOS can help even if it was not a BIOS bug, the update forces the BIOS to rescan the hardware and reassign intterupts and DMA channels, it builds a database which it hands off to windows.
verifier will find common driver bugs even if they don't crash the system some just corrupt memory, some may take days to be notice the effects.
you can turn off verifier functions at any time by running cmd.exe as an admin then
verifier.exe /reset

It will stop the verifier bugchecks, (you can also turn off verifier for certain drivers but it takes more effort)
just be sure to turn off verifier when you are done testing because the setting last even after you reboot your system.
the extra checking may make your system use lots more memory and run slower (maybe 20% as a rough guess)

ElKappa

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
So, a while now no BSOD - my solution? Disabling OneDrive. Since disabling that from startup and from running in general, no BSOD. No clue why or how, but that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.