Have 2 different monitors and one HDMI port

EternalFire_

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Basically what the title says. I have a small flat-screen (about 26 inc) TV that I currently use with my laptop, which is not to bad as a monitor. As I just got another monitor for my birthday, I want to be able to connect this monitor to my laptop as well, but I only have one HDMI port. I've looked around online and found cable-HDMI and box-HDMI splitters, but I want to know:

If I use a HDMI splitter, can I use the TV as a main monitor, and have the other monitor as a desktop extension? So that if, for instance, I play CSGO on one monitor, the other can still be on the desktop so I can bring up the web browser or skype or something.

Solution
Ignore Glen. No you can't. An HDMI splitter splits one signal that into two of the SAME signal. It does not magically allow the laptop to output two unique signals on one port.

You need to have two outputs for two monitors that are not clones. They sell USB to HDMI boxes for this but they are meant for productivity not gaming or video. For a browser/Skype should be fine.
Ignore Glen. No you can't. An HDMI splitter splits one signal that into two of the SAME signal. It does not magically allow the laptop to output two unique signals on one port.

You need to have two outputs for two monitors that are not clones. They sell USB to HDMI boxes for this but they are meant for productivity not gaming or video. For a browser/Skype should be fine.

Solution