Windows 10 Critical_Process_Died BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosteven

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
I have been running Windows 10 Pro on my HP desktop for over a week with no problems. Over the weekend Windows attempted installing an upgrade; not sure when, but during the upgrade process I received a Critical Process Died BSOD. Restarts result in the same error, and I have been unable to use Repair, Recovery Mode, or Safe mode to isolate the problem. The only usable option seems to be to do a System Restore where I have the choice of losing all installed apps, or losing both all installed apps and files.

Is there any way to roll back to the Windows 8.1 that is still located in the Windows.old folder from the command prompt?

Solution
A System Restore operation is different from a Reset this PC operation, in that it will only roll back system settings, drivers, applications, etc to a certain point in time. The first recommended course of action is to perform that System Restore operation to a time when things were still working correctly. If this fails, you may want to try "Go back to Windows 8.1" from the same Advanced Startup Options menu that you are accessing.

Slashgeek

Admirable
A System Restore operation is different from a Reset this PC operation, in that it will only roll back system settings, drivers, applications, etc to a certain point in time. The first recommended course of action is to perform that System Restore operation to a time when things were still working correctly. If this fails, you may want to try "Go back to Windows 8.1" from the same Advanced Startup Options menu that you are accessing.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.