Samsung 850 EVO SSD doesnt work when plugged into SATA III port.

Tandy_

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
So i've been using my SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 250gb model) through a sata 2 port on my motherboard for a while now, but whenever i tried to plug the sata cable into the sata 3 port on the motherboard, the computer starts up, and then promptly shuts down without displaying anything on the screen.

What i need to know is if i need to buy a SATA III cable to plug it from my SSD into the sata III port, and how would i know if the current cable im using is not compatible with sata III. (Which would mean that it's a SATA 2 cable?)

Tandy_

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

Nope, but today or tomorrow I'll go to the nearest tech store and pick up a decent SATA III cable.

Also you understood wrong; I meant that only if i try to plug it into the SATA III port with the SATA II cable it doesn't work, otherwise it's fine.

Also, how would i know if the current cable i'm using is a SATA II cable?

Mattios

Honorable
All SATA cables are backwards compatible. It is possible to get a bad cable, but incredibly unlikely. I highly doubt that a new cable will solve anything.

The cables normally have text written on them along the length of them - you'll probably find the SATA version there.

Tandy_

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

Found another SATA 3 cable in an older computer, now ssd work perfectly and at full advertised speed!

TRENDING THREADS