Installing Windows 10 from Bootable USB Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickHH

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
So I recently purchased a 3 TB hard drive and am looking to replace my current 500 GB HDD, which has Windows 7 Home, with it. I have a 64 bit version of Windows 10 on a flash drive, so that I can install it to my new HDD, but for some reason whenever I try to run UEFI (so that I can use all 3 TB of the HDD), it refuses to boot from the USB. Every time I try to override boot, it just goes back to the setup screen, even though the USB is formatted for FAT32 and my motherboard, which is MSI, doesn't even have a secure boot function, which I've heard can cause issues.

Solution
First things first, make sure you upgrade the windows 7 to windows 10. otherwise you will not be able to get the "free" upgrade, unless you have a separate license for it. If you are worried about losing your data, back up the win7 installation. Once you have upgraded and activated, you can do a complete new install onto the 3TB.

Did you create the USB using the MediaCreationTool? I believe it will create a UEFI bootable USB.

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
First things first, make sure you upgrade the windows 7 to windows 10. otherwise you will not be able to get the "free" upgrade, unless you have a separate license for it. If you are worried about losing your data, back up the win7 installation. Once you have upgraded and activated, you can do a complete new install onto the 3TB.

Did you create the USB using the MediaCreationTool? I believe it will create a UEFI bootable USB.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.