Best gaming monitor currently available?

Someguitarist86

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Hey all,

I've been looking at getting a new gaming monitor. I've read up here about the great 4k 60hz vs 1440p 144hz debate, and I believe I'm going to settle on a 1440p 144hz with Gsync. I currently have a 980-Ti; and this would be the primary monitor with a secondary 1080p 60hz maybe, if it's not too taxing to run both just to have a game Wiki or something up. No real budget constraints.

I'm currently looking at the ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift. I've heard there was some QC issues, but I've also heard that they were mostly resolved.

My questions are then 1) Is there any comparable monitors that you monitor-guru's would recommend? I don't mind spending the money if the monitor is definitely of a higher quality. 2) Is there any particular reason I should hold off, other than an inevitable sale (Like, some new vastly superior monitor coming out before Christmas?), and 3) It's been beaten to death, but also feel free to chime in if you go another way with your monitor choice (1440p 144hz vs 4k 60hz? Or 1440p 144hz Gsync vs non-gsync?) I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks for your time, everyone!

Well here is my suggestion. Purchase from a local store if possible. For me it's easier to return to a store quickly if we issues ensue. I purchased the Asus swift yesterday thus far so good. I was thinking about the Acer ops gsync display but that runs for 800+ and that was to hot for my blood. People say 24 inch 1080p and 27 inch 1440p to note as a suggestion. You have a nvidia card go gsync.

1440p, IPS, 144 Hz:

FreeSync: MG279Q
GSync: XB270HU

Both of these use the same exact panel, the M270DAN02.3 by AU Optronics. Depending on GPU, pick the one you need. There is no need to go 4k, by the time 4k is actually playable with a single GPU, there will be even better 4k displays out there. However, it's obviously preference, can't deny that 4k looks gorgeous, but is not very game friendly.

Edit: I missed the part where you said you have a 980-Ti, please ignore the MG279Q, unless it's cheaper, and you don't need any sync tech. If you can push 100+ FPS in games, you won't really notice screen tearing anyways.

I agree that the IPS pane is probably the better of the two options. I was going to go that route but in the end decided against it. I got my Asus Swift for about 150-200 dollars less then the Acer IPS Gsync monitor. If you are fine spending the extra to get the Acer one go for it. I would just like I said before be ready to RMA a monitor or return it to the store its easier to have a store to return to then ship back an item of course.