Installed on windows 7 OEM, wondering if I can use windows 8 key

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodenameStirfry

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Hello, I am sorry in advance, this might be a lengthy post but I assure you it's all somewhat useful. So I bought a windows 7 computer back in '10 however around '12 I ran into some trolls who did the whole delete system 32 thing, although it wasn't that file. It was some kernel thing that didn't allow the OS to be seen or something. Regardless, the only way I could fix it was by reinstalling windows, however I had lost the CD. So I unfortunately made the decision of installing and OEM. Now when I installed windows 10 I had forgotten all this until I saw that my key was not working. I got the showkeyplus application and it showed that it was an OEM. Now, if I'm wrong about the OEM not being a valid key for activating windows, please tell me that right now. Otherwise, I'll go on. I went on g2a.com to find a better deal for a windows key and the windows 7 is shockingly way out of my pricerange, however the windows 8 one fits in just nice. Am I able to use a windows 8 key to 'activate windows', as the popup is really annoying me and I just want to try out cortana and actually customize my pc. I wondered because it said the key was saved based on the motherboard it was installed on or something, which was windows 7 at the time, but I'm wondering if I can use a windows 8 key despite it never being windows 8. I await your responses. I have quite a lot of thoughts of what I want to write here, so it doesn't surprise me if I missed out something. If you have any questions based on this please feel free to ask. But be ready to answer right afterwords, because I will be watching this post. Thank you.

Solution
hi,
Yes you can use a windows 8 key to install windows 8 OEM without any problems after that you can; install 8.1 and windows 10 for free without any problems.
The key will be saved onto your motherboard, if you change the motherboard you will have to reactivate it.

stefsom

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
hi,
Yes you can use a windows 8 key to install windows 8 OEM without any problems after that you can; install 8.1 and windows 10 for free without any problems.
The key will be saved onto your motherboard, if you change the motherboard you will have to reactivate it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.