Logon not working on iPad 1

McHenryB

Admirable
Since you have changed your logon page it seems to be impossible to logon using Safari on an iPad 1. All I get is a blank page that says at the bottom:

{{environment}}! revision : {{revision}}

Not impressed.

Well, for everybody NOT using Safari, all the login issues and a bunch of non-login issues seem to have been resolved. I'm sure the dev team will address the issues with Safari as soon as they have a chance. I for one am ecstatic that the problems we WERE having have been resolved by the new login.

I'm sure it's frustrating for Safari users but I'd bet this is resolved before long.

McHenryB

Admirable
Yes, I've been having difficulties on all platforms of late but this is the first time I have been completely unable to logon to Tom's on one of my devices. I guess it's unreasonable to expect the developers to test on such a niche product as the iPad before putting changes live.

I doubt the iPad is the issue. More likely is something about Safari that's affecting the Login. But I guess it could be anything. Considering Android and Windows make up the lions share of current OS market share, and the fact that we get a comparatively small number of Apple users here with questions, it's not surprising if it's not AS much of a focused area as those are.

McHenryB

Admirable
Well, I can't test with newer versions of Safari/iOS as I don't have a newer iPad. I realize that it's old but there are still a lot of them about. I wouldn't be impressed if such a problem arose with Windows 7, say, which also is a bit long in the tooth now.

I guess the real answer is more the one in the previous post that Apple equipment isn't considered important enough to test on. That seems to be rather a shortsighted view as, like it or not, the various versions of Safari make up about one-third of the market on mobile devices.

I must admit that I get the impression that there isn't a lot of testing on different platforms/browsers (correct me if I am mistaken) which is not something that I would have got away with when working on commercial web sites.

Forgive the sarcasm - occasioned by a somewhat sarcastic reply from a moderator to my original error report - but I do believe that errors like this are important and don't reflect well on the site. (It is, after all, predicated towards solving technical problems.) And I don't think that a response along the lines of "no-one uses iOS or OS X (or Safari) anyway" is a very professional response to an error report.

Anyway, I've reported the error but I must say that I'm not really encouraged to report further problems.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Seems to me there was sarcasm from both sides, but let's put that behind us for now.

Our new login system is provided by Stormpath. From what the devs have told me, the iOS issues stem from Stormpath itself, which apparently does not play nice with iOS. We're currently in the process of working with them in trying to sort this out.

While many people might use mobile versions of Safari (I'm skeptical on that 1/3 of the mobile market number), Safari does make up a fairly small portion of our userbase here. Not that that is any excuse for not finding out about this sooner; believe me, there will likely be some kind of fallout from this, especially considering that the new login system was supposed to have been tested extensively and was even launched on our French and German sites first to make sure we avoided these kinds of problems as much as we can.

I'll report back when I learn more about the situation. In the meantime, I presume that Chrome and Firefox on iOS is still able to access the site, or at least, I have not heard any reports to the contrary.

My response was not meant to be sarcastic, nor do I think it was. I was simply being honest.

Nobody said that. At all. Saying a technology is not as "focused" an area is a far cry from saying "no-one uses it". The fact is that when changes are made to anything, website, drivers, platforms, logins, whatever, there are always going to be unexpected results and situations no matter how much testing is done beforehand. It simply has to be dealt with the best it can be as those issues arise.

So far I haven't seen an operating system, game driver, game title or any other product that involves the use of written code be released that didn't hamper usability for SOMEBODY along the way, and most of the companies that do those things have much larger operating budgets and staff than what I'd think we have to work with on that side of things. Considering these guys are doing the best they can with what they have to work with, I tip my hat to them for keeping things on as even a keel as they do.

TRENDING THREADS