What are the best online courses for certs?

Mpstyler

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Hello everyone. My name is Michael and I have a couple questions.

To start off, I'm new to IT and I'm trying to break into entry-level IT work. For the past couple months I've been going through a training program with a web-hosting company that taught the basic fundamentals of DNS, the Linux command line, how to use PHP, FTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, and a large host of other processes and applications used in a web-hosting environment. I never had experience in the Linux command line and was completely new to DNS, so the course was extremely helpful. As well, I have around 10 years of experience building and tinkering PC's (like any PC gamer would lol). I took an A+ cert sample test, and it was surprisingly easy, just to mention.

Unfortunately, during the interview process with the web-hosting company I was training with, about a dozen other applicants WITH experience applied, but I have none, so I was rejected. It sucked majorly because, again, I put in a little under 6 months into the program only to get tossed, but I'm not going to give up. I want to break through into IT and am determined to do what it takes. I've already put in around 30+ applications to random companies in my area (I live in Virginia Beach), but 95% of them want experience. Pleh.

Which brings me to my next point and my most important question: Who or what offers the best online courses for training towards a certification, and which are the most cost efficient? (I'm looking to spend around ~$500, maybe more if it's really good). I'm not just looking to memorize a bunch of knowledge either, but this will be a legitimate education and I want to comprehend the material.

As of now, I'm eyeballing a Network+ cert as it seems the best stepping stone for where I am, and then maybe a Security+, Linux+, CCNA, AWS, etc. as I advance. What's important though is I get at least one well-respected cert so I can get some experience and start making some damn money lol. I'd be giving myself to this course like a part-time job.

But where should I go? Who offers the best online courses? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.