Desktop AND Laptop restarting on shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simarick

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Since I've upgraded to windows 10 a couple weeks ago, I've come to notice in the last couple days that when I press shut down from the start menu, typing shutdown -s -t 0, etc. it does not completely shut down the computer. It starts to go through the process, it says it's shutting down, monitors turn off, but the power light stays on and it just restarts. I have only gotten it to shut down correctly about 85% of the time through the login screen and pressing and holding the power button (which I know I should refrain from). I am completely up to date on windows. I have not made any hardware changes since my upgrade to 10. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

This issue has also now come up on my Lenovo G50 laptop. Same shtick, says it's shutting down but ends up restarting, never shutting down completely. I also have since reverted to Windows 7 on my desktop and have no issues. I have unchecked the hybrid shutdown box on my laptop but no help.

Solution
By hybrid shutdown, do you mean the fast restart setting in power options? If not, I'd disable fast restart. You may need to click on the "show hidden settings or settings not currently available" option in power options in control panel.

If that doesn't work, do a clean install. Some settings from the previous OS that have been transferred to the upgrade may be incompatible with the features and settings in Windows 10, which creates a problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/resolve-unresolvable-issues-upgrading-windows.html

By hybrid shutdown, do you mean the fast restart setting in power options? If not, I'd disable fast restart. You may need to click on the "show hidden settings or settings not currently available" option in power options in control panel.

If that doesn't work, do a clean install. Some settings from the previous OS that have been transferred to the upgrade may be incompatible with the features and settings in Windows 10, which creates a problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/resolve-unresolvable-issues-upgrading-windows.html

Solution

Simarick

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

Yeah that is what I changed and it didn't do anything. I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to clean installs, always seems like so much work even though they aren't. Thanks for your help, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.