''Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The disk may soon be terminated.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLipe

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
So i bought a used 6 year old hdd and I tried to install windows on it and this is what happened.
''Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The disk may soon be terminated.''
What should I do?

Solution
A six year old hard drive, problem is you don`t know how much it has been hammered in reading and writing operations.

I would say the maximum life of a hard drive through daily use would be about 2 to 3 years.
5 or 6 years you are bound to have bad sectors on the hard drive or other problems crop up.

As said the very statement windows made to you on trying to install a windows os indicates that the Smart feature on the hard drive is reporting multiple errors of the hard drive magnetic platter and damaged sectors that can no longer be replaced or relocated to good known sectors of the hard disk drive, to store data reliably.

Meaning all of the spare sectors of the hard drive provided as a redundancy feature have already all been used...

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Sounds like the harddrive's SMART (error diagnostic/reporting) detected an issue with the drive. Harddrives do not last forever, hopefully you didn't spend much on it, as it sounds like its failing.

One thing you could try is during the Windows install, choose "advanced install" and delete any existing partitions, and create a new one, format it, and attempt the install that way.

If that doesn't help, perhaps try Linux, I hear it doesn't care if the hard drive is about to fail, it will let you install anyway.

plug the drive into another pc...run hdtune look at the smart warning screen for errros. see if any are fatal. with windows os there should not be any partions or data on the drive. if the drive is good use the windows installer disk. go int oadvance mode make sure you delete all of the partions. if that wont help. go into dos prompt with the installer and use the diskpart tools. try and format the drive see if there are disk errors in format. if there are the drive is bad.

A six year old hard drive, problem is you don`t know how much it has been hammered in reading and writing operations.

I would say the maximum life of a hard drive through daily use would be about 2 to 3 years.
5 or 6 years you are bound to have bad sectors on the hard drive or other problems crop up.

As said the very statement windows made to you on trying to install a windows os indicates that the Smart feature on the hard drive is reporting multiple errors of the hard drive magnetic platter and damaged sectors that can no longer be replaced or relocated to good known sectors of the hard disk drive, to store data reliably.

Meaning all of the spare sectors of the hard drive provided as a redundancy feature have already all been used up due to hard errors on the disk platter.

At that point your better off bining the drive in question because you will suffer more and more Data loss.
Ditch it, and buy a new drive if I was to be totally honest with you.
Save yourself all the trouble and headaches you will have with the drive.

No two ways about it in my mind, rather than faffing around with it !
Take some sound advice.

Solution

SirLipe

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Thank you for your quick reply.
I've tried creating a partition but i got some kind of error.

Status
Not open for further replies.