Dual Monitors - 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort to HDMI?

jstumpf

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Hello,

I just recently upgraded to a GTX 970. I am looking to run 2 monitors with it, but it only comes with 1 HDMI slot which is what I am used to using for monitors. I am wondering if I bought a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, if I could use that to hook the other monitor up to HDMI without having any problems.

This may sound confusing, here's how I would imagine it going:

Monitor 1: HDMI Directly from card

Monitor 2: DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from card with HDMI hooked up to monitor.

If anybody could help me out with figuring out if/how this would work out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Yes, that should work fine as long as you have the correct adapter. If you ever move to three monitors, you'll need on of them to use a DVI output along with the DP output.
For the sake of avoiding any issues, I'd suggest that perhaps an active adapter would be the better option. This adapter, while more expensive, has proven to be trouble free in use with many different systems and configurations. I use this in my own build as well. You might be able to get by with the unit you linked to, but I've seen a fair share of issues with non-active adapters on displayport outputs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812607073