Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI (1.0) and 4790K CPU - POST question

flintster

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Hi, odd question - I bought Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI (1.0) to replace an ASUS that fried. When put together, the power cycles on for a few seconds and off for a few seconds (without starting the POST, as if the CPU or Memory is not recognized, or the CPU fan is not working. However the fans are spinning, and a local shop I brought it into says they tested the CPU and Memory on another system and they were fine.) I also replaced the power supply and no change.

I noticed on the Gigabyte website that the 4790K is supported as of BIOS version F3. However I do not know which BIOS it has, since the POST will not start at all.

My question is, in general would a motherboard be able to start the POST process with a functional CPU that is socket-compatible - even if the BIOS that is present on the board does not technically support it yet? I would think so since you would need a way to update the BIOS - but I'm not sure why I think that...

I asked Gigabyte tech support 5 days ago and they have yet to respond.

Please also note that I did try 2 asrock boards before this one, and it also did not work (with not exactly the same symptoms but close).

Notwithstanding this BIOS question, My inclination is to think the shop either did not test memory or CPU as they stated, or they did and it worked but was a fluke and the CPU or memory is 'borderline' I would not think the odds are good to have 3 DOA boards in a row. I just dont want to buy a new CPU and find out that is not it, since they are difficult to RMA unless defective.

Any help appreciated!