Graphics card for triple monitor setup: 3 x 2560 x 1440.

TheMacca

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
I have 3 Dell P2416D monitors being driven by a Sapphire R9 290X card. The middle monitor is connected to DisplayPort and runs at 2560x1440. The two side monitors only seem to run at 1920x1080. I would like to run all three at 2560. I've tried HDMI->HDMI, DVI-D->HDMI and cannot get them to run full resolution. Do I need to purchase another Graphics card? If so, what would work well?

Solution
According to the specs of both your monitors and your gpu, you should be able to drive full resolution over HDMI. Your DVI/HDMI adapter might not be able to handle full resolution: it needs to be certified at least HDMI 1.3.
You might try getting just the HDMI connection to work first. You may need to install the monitor drivers so that your system doesn't treat it as a generic plug and play screen. You may also need to use Catalyst Control Center to get all of the resolution options.
It's too bad that the monitors don't have dual-link DVI and that your GPU has only one DP.
Some of the Gigabyte GTX cards have 3 DP which could simplify things. That's a lot of money to spend, however, when your current solution should work.
According to the specs of both your monitors and your gpu, you should be able to drive full resolution over HDMI. Your DVI/HDMI adapter might not be able to handle full resolution: it needs to be certified at least HDMI 1.3.
You might try getting just the HDMI connection to work first. You may need to install the monitor drivers so that your system doesn't treat it as a generic plug and play screen. You may also need to use Catalyst Control Center to get all of the resolution options.
It's too bad that the monitors don't have dual-link DVI and that your GPU has only one DP.
Some of the Gigabyte GTX cards have 3 DP which could simplify things. That's a lot of money to spend, however, when your current solution should work.

Solution

TheMacca

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Your DVI/HDMI adapter might not be able to handle full resolution: it needs to be certified at least HDMI 1.3.
The cables I purchased were Dual Link DVI-D to HDMI and said that they supported the resolution I wanted ... but perhaps I need different ones.

You might try getting just the HDMI connection to work first.
Good suggestion, thank you. I am able to get full resolution on all of HDMI->HDMI, DP-DP and dual monitors running both those. When I connect my DVI-D->HDMI adapter cable, the third monitor only supports 1920x1080, it also switches the HDMI->HDMI back to 1920x1080 but I can just change that.

You may need to install the monitor drivers so that your system doesn't treat it as a generic plug and play screen.
I did this. It properly detects the monitors with their connection method.

You may also need to use Catalyst Control Center to get all of the resolution options.

Will try this.
Thank you for your response.