Looking for a monitor that is not blindingly bright and also doesn't have washed out colors (especially for dark colors)

SigmaOctantis

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
I recently purchased an HP Pavilion 23bw IPS monitor to replace my old HP LE2201w. I wanted to replace it because that monitor only accepts VGA input and nothing else and newer graphics cards don't seem to accept VGA. Well, I got the new 23bw and it's uncomfortably bright! It's so bad that it gave me a headache. I even set the brightness down to 30 and the contrast to 70 and it's still unbearably bright. My old monitor did not give me that problem at all. I admit the colors accuracy are not as good on my old monitor compared to this one, but at least I could look at it without destroying my eyes.

My other problem is that the blacks and darks don't look pure. It looks as if there's a sun glaring behind me (even though there's not).

I read something about TN panel monitors being less bright. According to this , my old monitor was a TN panel. This new one is an IPS monitor. Will getting a TN panel monitor help me with my problem? If this is the case, what is a good, non-glossy, not-overbearingly bright TN panel monitor that accepts either HDMI or DVI input? I'm ready to return this HP 23bw because I simply can't stand it.

spagalicious

Distinguished
I've never had a problem with panel be too bright, even when turning the brightness down. What is your budget for a panel? I've heard great things about the ASUS VN248H-P as far as budget IPS panels go. Maybe read some reviews and see if this is more your speed?

IPS is going to be brighter than TN but offers better viewing angles, color accuracy, and contrast ratios (darker darks, brighter brights) when compared to a TN panel.

HP panels have always been pretty lousy, IMO.

Asus $170 with $20 rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

SigmaOctantis

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks for your suggestion! My budget is $200 so that fits in my budget. I'll keep that monitor in mind. Does the monitor you suggested have accurate dark colors? As in, it doesn't look washed out or like a bright gray?

spagalicious

Distinguished
It's honestly hard to say, i could not find any actual reviews of the panel (usually review sites only review higher priced panels) but just from newegg and word of mouth from a few friends, the panel is supposed to be pretty good.

It is hard to exceed any more than ~1200:1 contrast ratio from an IPS panel (must be a very good one at that). However, if you are not a big gamer you may want to look at the Acer G247HL VA (Vertical Alignment) panel. VA allows for a 3000:1 contrast ratio (darker darks) but may suffer from ghosting issues or color shift. VA panels have gotten alot better though and the reviews for the ACER (again, only on Newegg) are pretty favorable. Again, I couldn't find a review, so no guarantee on colors or contrast ratio but, theoretically, VA should offer what you are looking for.

G257HL:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009656

TRENDING THREADS