Strange issue; monitor cable switching every bootup

RespectfulDad

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
I have a very strange issue that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have a GTX 980 and run two monitors, one through DVI (my main monitor) and the other through a DVI adapter to VGA (monitor only has VGA and no VGA output on the 980). Whenever I boot my computer, there is no display on my main monitor, and my second monitor ONLY runs at 800x600, though the native res is 1600x900. What I find my self having to do every time is shut it off, switch the cables from that to my main, then restart and switch the cables back. I've tried only booting with the DVI in, but there is no display. I'm at a loss and it's very frustrating having to do this every morning. Does anyone have a possible solution to this?

RespectfulDad

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

It says my second monitor is the main display, which I then change, but it never saves it upon restart.

RespectfulDad

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Anyone have any advice on this? Bit lost as to why this is happening. Seems like it doesn't recognize DVI until I start it up with VGA and detect it through the control panel(s).

RespectfulDad

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Sorry if I'm bumping this too much or something, but I'm really lost and it seems like having to swap cables around and do multiple restarts every time I start my computer is unnecessary and potentially fixable. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.