GPU or PSU? Win7 won't boot with drivers installed.

Dodolander

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
MoBo: Asus M5A99X Evo R2
CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
RAM: 8G DDR3 (single stick - its twin choked)

Ok. So obviously, my inclination here is to assume that my problem is the GPU. But, before I go buying the MORE expensive component, I am tossing it to my reliable folks at Tom's.

Here is the deal. I recently moved internationally from the US. When I arrived and went to set up the machine, it would not boot past the windows splash screen. I did a whole battery of troubleshooting and decided to just clean install Win7. After several attempts and some config changes this is what I have come up with. The system is completely stable and passes all benchmarks (Funmark, Passmark, CrystalDisk, and Windohs) with all updates and drivers installed. Now, once I install the final piece of the puzzle (the driver for my GPU) it immediately fails to boot. With the latest drivers the result is a failure to boot. With rolled back drivers ranging from Oct-2014 to Mar-2015, I get BSOD 0016 (GPU failed timely response). Since I cannot install ANY drivers for the GPU, I cannot benchmark it. ***Unless someone knows of a benchmark I can run from Safe Mode or a recovery command prompt.***

Conclusion: GPU cooked or damaged in shipping.

But, here is the complication. I have moved internationally so there are two additional possibilities:
1st - The PSU is not remaining stable at high loads because of the 240v power (not stable btw). I have tried to eliminate this possibility by switching it to 230v and plugging it straight into the wall and keeping it on 115v and running it off of a prograde transformer behind a surge protector. (No faults anywhere in those two electrical systems).

2nd - The PSU is failing as it nears load. http://powersupplycalculator.net/ rates the system at 500W at load, but add ~100-150W for liquid cooling. Say 625W mean. Its a 700W power supply, but the GPU shouldn't be at max during Startup. I just ordered a PSU tester (why I don't have one? *shrug), but everything takes buckets of time to get here.

Anyone conclude other than "time for a new GPU"? Any ideas for additional diagnostics?

Dodolander

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
OK, fair enough. This is the PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4559575.
It is almost precisely 4 years old.
Checking your list, it is in fact Tier 5, avoid! Thank you for that link btw. That will be a big help in purchasing a replacement.
Now that that is settled, do you think I can make a case for an RMA on the GPU with my SquareTrade warranty? Might as well get a new GPU while I am at it, right!

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009
Brand names say nothing useful about that one supply. Only way to establish power is sufficient is a meter, some requested instructions, and minutes of labor. To get a useful answer (that 1) first identifies the defect and then 2) recommends a solution) means numbers from that minutes of labor.

As properly noted, your 700 watt number means little to nothing. Since your computer is not so hot as to also toast bread. Most computers consume around 100 watts and might peak at 300+ watts. Since most computer assemblers do not know numbers that are relevant, then we recommend a PSU that is double the required power. But again, that says nothing about your unique supply. Solving problems is not found in brand names or generalized predictions. Solution is found in a problem unique to that one machine. That means numbers unique to that machine - using a meter.

Dodolander

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Ok, thank you all for your input! The link to the PSU Tier list was especially helpful. It led me to buy a Corsair AX760 from the Tier one list. I am sure I will not regret it. Unfortunately, the problem is in fact with the GPU. Ugh. Thankfully, it is still under warranty! Joy of Joys.