Discussion: Bethesda isn't bothered if you don't like Fallout 4's graphics

In an interview with Metro, Bethesda VP Pete Hines responded when asked about fan complaints about Fallout 4's graphics said, "As with most forms of entertainment you never get 100 per cent agreement on anything. And so, at the end of the day, whether it’s what the graphics look like or whether the gameplay is what you want or whether you like the setting, or whatever it is, everybody is entitled to their opinion."

Less than revolutionary graphics is likely a good thing in the long run. If every game you make is pushing peoples computers harder and harder, you limit the scope of those who can actually play your games, and likely you've diverted focus from what makes people actually want to play your game and come back and keep playing it.

For Fallout 4, what this hopefully means is that, if you can run Skyrim at the recommended settings, you can probably run Fallout 4 with ease, so don't be expecting to need a computer upgrade for it when it releases in November.

So how do you evaluate a game? Are the graphics more important to you than the gameplay? Why do you put so much emphasis on the graphical quality of the game? Do you think it's healthy for the games industry to be in such an "arms race" over who has the most realistic looking hair, skin or rocks?

Source: http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/20/bethesdas-pete-hines-fallout-4-interview-were-doing-stuff-that-other-folks-wouldnt-do-or-dont-do-5352056/

I would agree that cutting-edge graphics often don't make a game stand out. You don't need graphics as advanced as Crysis 3 or The Witcher 3 to enjoy the gameplay. Enthusiasts want the best visuals for a lifelike interactive experience, but sometimes you don't need graphics which force you to go out and buy a pair of GTX 980 Tis to have a game with plenty of replay value. Dishonored and BioShock Infinite are good examples of games that have softer graphics, but have been praised for gameplay, story, and character personalities.

But what's interesting is that Bethesda has gone CPU-crazy on The Evil Within and Wolfenstein: The New Order. Now they decided oh well, the heck with requiring i7 CPUs for our games; we'll just tone down the graphics to improve optimization on a wide range of hardware.

High fidelity graphics is not a major concern for me. I care more about the storyline, actual gameplay mechanics and if the game is going to be released in a broken state like that poor excuse for a PC game port known as Batman: Arkham Knight. Since Bethesda has full control over FO4 and it is not a ported game, I am pretty sure the game will not have performance issues anywhere near that of Batman Arkham Knight.