My Tata Indigo GLS Overheats and leaks power steering fluid...

marathawarrior

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hi there,

Its been a year and 2 months now since I own a Tata Indigo GLS 2006 December Model. And ever since day 1 I've been encountering this overheating issue. I bought this second hand car in 2014 May 4th, And it wasn't much distance to our place from where the vehicle was. This car started giving white fumes in the middle of my journey. We didn't knew anything so we brought her to our place in that very condition and then tried some people who I knew are dealing with cars. Now everyone including my trainer/instructor from driving school was sure about a blown head-gasket. So we took her to a Tata Service Center they quoted me 34k INR for a car which costed me 105k INR. We refused and kept the car with us. Then showed to a local garage and got it fixed. After asking what was the problem? The mechanic showed us a rusted cracked pipe and said this was it.

So the car worked fine but since then it has started leaking power steering fluid. Now I gave the car to the same garage and they fixed the seals for power steering fluid. Wow. it was fine again but after some months it started to leak and overheat again. Finally, my uncle searched for a new garage and the new guy told us that the fan was not working. He showed us the disconnected fan. Now I don't know about things under the hood so I knew I didn't do it. And nobody else touches the car except for me and that mechanic. We trust this second garage now we've gotten our car fixed there 2 times already. But now after the second repair its 6 months past and the car is overheating again and leaking power steering fluid very fast. Earlier it used to take 14 days to empty the Power Steering Fluid Reservoir but now it takes only 1 day. I checked for the overheating but I can't find whether its the fan or gasket or a head/block. As for the power steering this new guy says its a damaged/cracked power steering rack. Also I poured some normal temperature water in the hot coolant reservoir. It was giving white fumes today and was making a hissing sound. I opened the lid cautiously and let the coolant come out without harming myself and then poured a 1 lt bottle of normal temperature water. Am I safe? Did I just made a big mistake? Why is this problem repeating itself? Am I missing something? Do you think this guy is trying to loot me here in India?

Please note all I know about the vehicle is from Internet Forums and the Vehicle's Manual. Please I need some experts advice.

marathawarrior

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

I know that this is a computer forum but I saw someone posting some solutions to car overheating and etc. here on tomshardware thus I thought maybe I'd get the perfect solution for my car too as I get for my pc here.