Bad experience so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

CATERWAULER

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I requested my automatic free update on a Friday and it was downloading at 7 am the next morning. Took about 4 hours. I thought that was pretty good. I am running a Toshiba Laptop Satellite S50D, 1Tbyt HD, 2.14 GHz, 8Mb RAM. Had W8.1 installed.
Windows 10 slowed my computer by at least 50%! It is not a Beta but the proper Windows10, released for everyone and properly activated.
I made the mistake of taking the suggestion to just get started with 10 and let it go automatically until I got to know it, BEFORE I discovered how intrusive W10 was, then I had to go back in and turn off all the tattle-tale stuff that automatically sends everything you do to the Microsoft 'Cloud' via One Drive, you might as well read that as to the NSA!
Microsoft expects you to change ALL your emails to ONE with a single password on a 'Microsoft account'. One Drive is automated in W10. Cortana, under the guise of 'getting to know you better', asked for so much personal data I uninstalled it. But guess what? It keeps coming back on it's own and is impossible to shut off! Probably listening to everything you do and noting everything you send?
The new browser, Microsoft Edge, comes installed too, and you MUST use Bing for searching, no more private IxQuick or or DuckDuckGo or even Google!
I went back to Internet Explorer and Firefox. And I suspect it already told someone I have Tor installed too! LOL
A lot of things that are already turned on for you are; letting Apps use you for advertising; geofencing to follow where you go; let Apps use your name, picture, and other account information! Really! Let Apps read or SEND messages! Really again? GPS tracking location is turned on. And you won't be able to choose updates. Microsoft will just send them.
With 8.1 I could choose NOT to install those old Office 2003 updates, what now? Microsoft will install whatever it likes?
I have a month to decide whether to go back to W8.1 which I liked a lot. It worked fast and well on my Toshiba. I might just do that and live with 8.1 forever if a service pack doesn't come first.
I would really like to know IF or how I can speed things up here, it has become painfully slow.
So far not so good in my experience
CW

Solution

7malligk

Reputable
May 4, 2015
Hi,
1. Did you check is your computer is compatible with Windows 10? Here is a link with the system requirements for Windows 10.
2. You don't have to use a Microsoft Account with Windows 10, Here is how to use a Local Account instead.
3. You can remove Onedrive integration with Windows 10, see here.
4. To stop Windows gathering Data about you and to disable Cortana see here.
5. You can change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge, see here.
6. Please see here to change Privacy Settings with Microsoft Advertizing
7. To stop windows updating apps when it updates windows do this, Start -> type "Windows Update" in the search box, press ENTER

Click "Change Settings" in the left-hand column

Under the "Microsoft Update" heading, uncheck the "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows" option.
8. Here are some links to some fixes for slow speed in Windows 10
http://
Hope this Helps you,

Diganta Das

Distinguished
Well said by 7malligk. Do those things. Win 10 isn't that bad if you know how to use it. Yes advertisement selling is a bit disappointing but google has been doing that for years. You can disable cortana. What else do you want? BTW you told you had 8MB of RAM.. LOL :)

CATERWAULER

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Someone please tell e how to disable Cortana? It just comes back every time????

Hello,
1 - Yes, all requirements for this puter are great for W10. It is only 2 years old and has tons of room, RAM and speed etc, W8.1 worked just fine.
2 - I am using a local account, where I made a mistake was letting everything start as per Microsoft suggestion. I didn't know that literally EVERYTHING on the computer gets sent to Microsoft if you do it that way. Turned it off later and used a local account but too late. Of course I believe that is their plan anyway.

3 - Yes I have disabled One Drive as it is also sneaky by automatically sending your info to 'the Cloud'. (who do you need a Cloud when we have cheap Flashdrives?)
4 - You cannot actually disable Cortana. It just loads with every start. There is lot of info about this from techie magazines everywhere. In Canada, Cortana doesn't install with W10, but I worked around that because I though I would like it! But then it starts with lots of intrusive questions which you KNOW are going straight to Microsoft. And who else? I am considering re-installing W10 to get it out! lol
5 - Microsoft Edge may be good, not planning on using it that much so will see. I tried to type in Google and IxQuick but it wouldn't allow it than.
6 - I have changed the settings to disable all that spying that W10 is set for. I think there might be a hundred of them, all tucked away in different areas.
7 - I will review my settings in Windows Update. Thanks. But not sure I like the idea of Windows updating whatever it likes without my scrutiny.
8 - Windows 8.1 would load and be ready for use in only a few seconds. W10 is minutes. Lot of difference in speeds.

I am seriously considering going back to 8.1 as I have this month to do it, and have not figured out if W10 benefits me or only Microsoft. The advice I received was to always wait for the first Service Pack. Which was probably good advice.

Thanks for responding with all those tips, I appreciate your interest and input.

CATERWAULER

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Hi, I got my first computer in 1987 so yes, I do know how to use them. Windows 3.2 was just coming out. Maybe you misunderstand about advertising selling, they are not trying to sell YOU advertising, but using YOU and YOUR information in advertising to others, like saying you endorse products and services you don't. And perhaps using YOUR picture for that.

Is 8MB of RAM bad? Didn't want to pay a lot more for extra RAM I am not a gamer. Only need to have things running way faster than 8.1 instead of way slower. Have you looked to see if your Cortana is disabled or is it like millions of others, just reloading itself to listen to you? Everything I have read, PC Magazine etc seems to see that it just reloads and cannot be UNinstalled.???
Yes W10 is not that bad but have not found it to be anything better than 8.1.
Thanks for responding.

7malligk

Reputable
May 4, 2015

8MB of RAM will not run windows 10 very well. 8GB or RAM will.

Diganta Das

Distinguished

Actually you might over rated the fact that magazines are spreading. Microsoft isn't leaking your privacy but selling your preference to advertisers so that the advertisers get the right people to show their adds. Google and most android apps do that. Don't worry, if microsoft is sneaking on you through your devices' cam, Interpol will sue them. lol.... and yeah 8mb of ram?? Dude that was perhaps in the 90s. Maybe you more like wanted to say 8gb.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
I really liked W10. Right up until I found it doing sneaky behavior when my computer went idle. I had drive indexing turned off, and it still was going through my music collection, and my home video collection, then it wanted to connect to the internet shortly afterwards. There was always a lot of internet connections even when I wasn't using anything, all pointing to various M$ servers, some even across seas. This is with all the known anti-privacy "features" disabled.

Windows, we were tight until this month. Now I do not trust that you have my best interests in mind, but are more concerned with making $$$ off me anyway you can, even by using my own computer against me, if you can.

Only time will tell if this is the truly the case, or I am just another paranoid tinfoil-head. One thing is for sure, Linux is also free.

Are you sure you have been using PCs since 87? Because Windows 3.2 didn't come out until 1993 and was only out in China. 3.11 was the last release everywhere else and in 87 it was Windows 2.0.

And so far my system is running the exact same as in did in 8.1 and 10 with the same startup apps and running apps. Maybe you need to do a clean install instead of an upgrade.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.