How to install Windows 10 (without having Windows 7/8 first) on a custom PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Sorcerer

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
I'm a real newbie to PC builds. (I'm only 13.) Lately, I've been looking to make a custom PC, mostly for personal uses, which include: homework, gaming, video editing, web browsing, media consumption, and for fun. One certain question has crossed my mind when I decided on all of the parts: how do I install the OS? I mean, you can't just import it from one of your old PCs, can you? How much is Windows 10 (without having Windows 7/8 first)? Can I copy the OS from another computer? These are probably really stupid questions, but like I mentioned before, I'm a HUGE newb to custom PCs.

I'm Canadian, so it'd be greatly appreciated if you provided me with a way to get it in Canada.
Thank you for your time and I would greatly appreciate feedback from the pros.

Solution
- If you want a fresh windows 10 copy you can buy Windows 10, new. It is sold RRP and only purchase from either microsoft website or Amazon. It should be around £100 for a legit copy.

- You cannot 'import' or 'copy' the OS from another system unless you have a retail edition that lets you do so. But all that would mean is the license key becomes deactivated on the old system and can be activated on the new one (not sure if this applies to Win 10 though). If you have pre-built pcs before such HP or DELL it most certainly won't have a retail key so it can't be done.
I strongly suggest buying a fresh copy.

- If you buy the Windows 10 key, you can make your own usb installer key. USe...
- If you want a fresh windows 10 copy you can buy Windows 10, new. It is sold RRP and only purchase from either microsoft website or Amazon. It should be around £100 for a legit copy.

- You cannot 'import' or 'copy' the OS from another system unless you have a retail edition that lets you do so. But all that would mean is the license key becomes deactivated on the old system and can be activated on the new one (not sure if this applies to Win 10 though). If you have pre-built pcs before such HP or DELL it most certainly won't have a retail key so it can't be done.
I strongly suggest buying a fresh copy.

- If you buy the Windows 10 key, you can make your own usb installer key. USe http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

- You must make sure the version of Windows is correct for your system. 9/10 cases you will want a 64 bit Home edition.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

As tambeshakunt stated, you can't transfer an OEM license from a pre-built pc/laptop (well, any OEM license actually).

There are a few places in addition to Amazon & Microsoft - and I believe all you can get for W10 (that I've read so far) are OEM licenses anyway!

Depending on where you are, you probably have a couple of places locally you can pick up a W10 Home 64bit edition.
Here in Calgary (and other places in AB / BC), there's MemoryExpress:
Windows 10 Home 64bit = $125
Windows 8.1 Home 64bit $110 and you can upgrade to W10. Saves a little bit of money, but will take a bit longer.

EDIT: Just noticed this post was August 23rd....oops! Oh well, I hope this can help somebody else in (western) Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS