How to prevent Win10 GPU driver updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orbit Storm

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Assuming it's possible, could someone direct me to some information (or provide it) on preventing Windows 10 from forcing GPU driver updates on me?

I created a thread three days ago about a faulty AMD GPU driver update, version 15.200.1062.1004 and that my only [current] resolution for that is to roll back the driver to version 15.200.1062.1002.

Evidently, Windows 10 doesn't appreciate me using an older driver and periodically, it will take control of my system with a background task and force this driver update on me.

Is there any way to prevent this intrusive behavior by Windows? Thank you.

Solution
You can prevent the automatic updating of drivers by performing the following steps. Navigate to Advanced System Settings via Search in the Start Menu. Go to the Hardware tab. Select "Device Installation Settings." Click "No, let me..." then select "Never install driver..." Press Save Changes. Press "OK."

Slashgeek

Admirable
You can prevent the automatic updating of drivers by performing the following steps. Navigate to Advanced System Settings via Search in the Start Menu. Go to the Hardware tab. Select "Device Installation Settings." Click "No, let me..." then select "Never install driver..." Press Save Changes. Press "OK."

Solution

Orbit Storm

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Thank you! I've never had to do this before, oddly enough, so here's to hoping there isn't any drawbacks from it. At the very least, I won't have to worry about the buggy GPU driver getting dumped on me. :)

Slashgeek

Admirable

You are most welcome. As for drawbacks, I am not sure about this setting's behavior when it comes to new devices that require drivers. Disable and enable it freely if you experience difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.