No USB data through Displayport Cable/Monitor

hardwarefrog

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
My apologies if this post is in the wrong section.

I have a macbook pro 13-inch early 2011 connected to my new Dell 34-inch u3415w screen via a MDP to displayport cable. I have USB peripherals connected to the downstream USB ports on my Dell monitor. My computer is able to display the 3440x1440 resolution just fine.

My question is, why is my macbook unable to recognize the USB peripherals? I thought displayport can carry data.

A quick google search revealed that my early 2011 macbook pro has thunderbolt 1 technology, and it seems like displayport 1.2 standards was first incorporated into thunderbolt 2 technology. My only guess is that my computer's lack of displayport 1.2 is the reason my computer can't recognize the USB peripherals connected downstream to the monitor. Before my Dell monitor, I used an LG 34UM95 (which uses thunderbolt, not displayport 1.2), and my computer was able to recognize USB peripherals connected downstream to the LG.

Solution
Of course Displayport carries data, its a digital connection. But it is not a replacement for usb nor a competitor for Thunderbolt. All it does is carry display data and this is why Dell included an upstream usb cable with your monitor: to enable the usb ports. All you have to do is connect it.

popatim

Titan
Of course Displayport carries data, its a digital connection. But it is not a replacement for usb nor a competitor for Thunderbolt. All it does is carry display data and this is why Dell included an upstream usb cable with your monitor: to enable the usb ports. All you have to do is connect it.

Solution

hardwarefrog

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Thank you for your help.

I'm still confused as to why I'm reading conflicting information about USB data through displayport, in particular at these sources:

According to Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...,2596-5.html): "Apart from being able to carry ultra-high resolutions, DisplayPort can also carry high bitrate 7.1 surround audio, touchscreen data, and bi-directional USB signals."

and Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displa...mshardware-5): "DisplayPort can be used to transmit audio and video simultaneously ... In addition, the interface is capable of carrying bi-directional USB signals"

Am I interpreting the information incorrectly from the above sources? "Bi-directional USB signals" to me means USB data.

mathewjg

Honorable
May 10, 2014
Yes - I have a couple of HP monitors connected via displayport and went through the same thought process regarding USB but as there was no mention of it in the documentation or the retail box I assume its not supported. Another unsupported facility is the option to daisy chain - as I only have one port on each monitor this was never going to be an option

hardwarefrog

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

I see, thanks for your input. Pretty disappointed, I like to have minimal cables connected from my monitor to my laptop. Hopefully, with displayport 1.3 over usb-c, we will finally have an all-in-one cable solution like thunderbolt offers.

Are you unable to daisychain because there are no DP out ports on your monitor?

mathewjg

Honorable
May 10, 2014
I wasn't too disappointed about the apparent unsupported features because I got the monitors for a very good price. yes - I cant daisychain because there are no out ports provided - maybe there are some adapters available but in reality everything is working fine. When I think about it I guess the demand for monitors must be dropping massively as the move towards tablets and laptops continues so bargains are to be had.