VGA to DVI adapter causes noise in dual monitor setup while gaming

fpsmoto

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I have an ATI R7 265 video card with two Acer monitors, one 22in and the other 19in. Both use the same refresh rate but the smaller monitor only has a VGA plug so I have a VGA to DVI adapter as my video card only has DVI and HDMI ports. For regular web browsing, both monitors work fine but any time I play a game where the main monitor is being used the second monitor has some noise or horizontal lines. Since I'm using the VGA to DVI adapter I assume that is the cause of this issue. Can I instead use a VGA to HDMI adapter to get rid of this problem or am I going to have to buy another monitor to use as my secondary that has a DVI connection by default?

well, for hdmi-vga, you need active adapter since vga is analog signal and hdmi is all digital.
better alternatives might be to test:
if using the secondary monitor as main one (set it as primary in windows) causes same lines while playing.
if the dvi-vga adapter is faulty, lines should still happen.

will it happen if the vga monitor is only one connected? (if adapter is faulty, it should still happen)

in which case it would be either the DVI output on card or... the adapter.
since such adapters cost only like 4$ it would be relatively cheap to get new one.