Files can't be deleted (File name too long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobverheul

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hello there,
I'm having a really frustration problem and I would really appreciate help from someone.

I want to delete a folder on my second hdd because i'm cleaning everything up but there are files inside it which have a too long name... I already tried things like trying to delete the folder manually with CMD.exe and a program called Total Commander but it just won't work. It keeps telling me I can't delete it because it has a too long files name. The files inside the folder are AECACHE-files which are from Adobe After Effects. I'm on a 64-bit version of Windows 10 by the way.

I hope someone could help me out here :S

Solution
Move the files directly to the root of the hard drive, this will cut down on the path length (thus instead of E:/Folder1/Folder2/Folder3/insanely-unnecessaryly-long-file-name-19646354354353413851.doc, it will just be E:/insanely-un...) Then see if you can rename or delete them.
Move the files directly to the root of the hard drive, this will cut down on the path length (thus instead of E:/Folder1/Folder2/Folder3/insanely-unnecessaryly-long-file-name-19646354354353413851.doc, it will just be E:/insanely-un...) Then see if you can rename or delete them.

Solution

Progress_Language

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Install "Unlocker" and delete it that way, through your context menu. It will delete it at once, or let you know that it will be deleted on the next reboot. This is simply another method. Unlocker is free and very lightweight. Watch out when you install it because there might be some crapware that wants to install as well. It is worth it though.

Another method I used, that does work some time, is to "Rename" the offending files or folders to something like "iohoh" (random typing on keyboard) and then deleting them because the names are now short. Sometimes I have to dig down to the bottom of the sub-folders and do this and back out, renaming all the offending folders to short "asd;ohq"-type names and then deleting the top folder containing them.

But... Unlocker is quicker.

Good luck.

P.S. If these files are simply too stubborn and are tied in with other items, you may need to see why they can't be deleted. Googling and downloading "Dependency Walker" will show you what files and folders and running apps are related to the offending item you wish to delete and perhaps give you pause to consider your intentions.

Again... good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.