Which Comp TIA A+ to use

captquakers

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014
Hey all,

I've decided to give looking into IT as a career course a go, I am currently looking at the CompTIA A+ exams as my base, I am looking at the books ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Certification-Edition-220-801-220-802/dp/007179512X or http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0789749718/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=007179512X&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=06JV42QESA6YBVR5N21R I basically trust this site more than I trust any other so which one is the better deal price not being factored.

By the way I know I will have to do a lot more than pass this exam but you've got to walk before you can run.

I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times

Solution
Do the professor messer videos, maybe even do the first few intro's to network +, that plus the cram book and you should be in good shape.

The exam does not get to technical in the diagnostics, its more of what is the major systems and how to troubleshoot. Its not a if you can not get internet connection what 3 things should you look at.
I used the exam cram book on amazon to get my A+.

Now it also comes down to what level are you at. If you need a book to help understand the basics then the exam cram is likely not for you, but if you are knowledgeable at building PCs and troubleshooting and just need a formal book to get you the cert then the exam cram book is very good.

A great free resource with the book is http://www.professormesser.com/

captquakers

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014

Well my knowledge is ok I guess, every time I do the practice questions I stumble on the networking side, I find the customer service side easy cause it's my actual job, pc's being a hobby

Do the professor messer videos, maybe even do the first few intro's to network +, that plus the cram book and you should be in good shape.

The exam does not get to technical in the diagnostics, its more of what is the major systems and how to troubleshoot. Its not a if you can not get internet connection what 3 things should you look at.

Solution

captquakers

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014

Thank you for your help :)

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Comp TIA exams are a waste of time and money. You are better off studying for the Microsoft Exams. If you know how to build a computer and troubleshoot basic things on a PC then you can pass the A+, Net+ and Security+ without an issue. Also even if you study for the exams by the book and don't have the physical know how of what is happening you may fail just on the fact they word the multiple questions so odd that how you studied from the book is not the way the exam asks the question.

I passed all 3 Exams on the first try without studying but I was troubleshooting and building computers for 3 years before I took the test. The only actual prep work I did was take a practice test from a brain dump site right before I took the test. I scored high on the brain dump and wouldn't you know the exact questions were asked on the official test lol.

You wouldn't believe the crap they still ask like IRQ numbers, or how do you know which ribbon cable is for a floppy drive only, or how many pins a SIMM have. Old obsolete technology that you may never run into in your lifetime.

captquakers

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014

Whether or not you're right you can't say that to an employer, when they ask me to prove what experience I have I would like to point to as much training as possible. I am looking at a whole new career I can't just ask to be nice and trust me

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I suggest after you study, check out examcollection.com. It is basically all the same questions they will ask on the test. You can keep testing yourself until you feel comfortable to take the real exam. Look for free vouchers too because it can get expensive real fast with their "pass or fail you still have to pay" motto. At least with the Microsoft exams when I failed I got a free retry after 24 hours so I was able to study then go back and pass. I'm not sure if Comp TIA gives free retrys too but it may be something to look into or ask before you visit the testing location.

Either way, good luck! After you pass A+ start studying and go straight for the Net+ as it kind of goes hand in hand then after you pass do the same for security +. Server + is basically Net+ and Security + in one exam so you can skip it. For there choose Microsoft, Apple or Linux :)