ASUS Maximus VI Hero - safe to install???

RJHodges

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015
OK folks - odd question. I have a new, in-box mobo that I purchased from Newegg about 10 months ago. I got sick and am now just getting around to building up a system. My plan was to set up a benchtest of the mobo, psu, CPU, and ram before putting it in a case.

When I opened the mobo box I noticed that the protective plastic cover over the CPU socket was loose and floating around in the box. I carefully examined the pins on the CPU socket and it looks like a couple of them might be bent or misaligned in the corners of the socket. The mobo was a new, sealed unit.

If that cover floating around during shipping has damaged the socket pins, am I going to destroy my CPU (a new i7-4790K) when I try to test? How can I tell if they're OK?

I'm finally ready to build up my system for Win10 but now I'm worried. I can't return the mobo, at least to Newegg.

Advice please, to a relatively new system builder, but an "old timer" of 70+ yrs.

Ron

RJHodges

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015
I'll drag out my DSLR with the Macro lens and see what I can come up with. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Thanks!

RJHodges

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015

OK, here you go, 2 pics. The pins I am concerned about are the ones in the lower left and right corners of the socket. This would be the bottom edge of the pin area as shown in the pics. Pic 1150_2.jpg shows them better I think, especially when zoomed in.

Let me know what you think, please. And, THANKS!

Ron Hodges

1150_1.jpg

1150_2.jpg

RJHodges

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015

Kinda new to the Forum. I provided some pics, in a separate answer. Check below. Thanks!