Final Build, is it good enough for what i want?

anthonymichael

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
So after listening to suggestions and making a few tweaks here and there i plan on spending roughly 1300 on all the parts i need, also most the items came from a website but i really prefer TomsHardware's feedback. Im trying to run Skyrim mainly on highest settings (not to hard) but also any other game of my choice in 1080p. Im buying the GPU last cause im still not sold on the 390x/390 or GTX980. My computer background is not large so this will be my first PC I have put together and I have little to no experience on components that are needed for my desire of an amazing PC experience. My best computer was a gateway laptop from 2011. These are the purchases im starting on this friday, cpu being first with case.

CPU - Intel i5-6600k

MoBo - ASUS Z170-A

Graphics Card - Radeon R9 390x 8GBMemory (Maybe 390, X may be a little overkill for my use)

Memory - Crucial 2x4GB Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400

SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

HDD - Seagate Barracuda (ST1000DM003) 1TB

Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 650 G2

CPU Cooler - Thermalright True Spirit 140 Rev. A (Though someone recommended Cooler Master Hyper 212 because my case works great with it)

Case - NZXT Phantom 410

Vynavill

Honorable
If it's just Skyrim, it's pretty much overkill, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it. Modded Skyrim, however, is a different thing.
For any other game, mileage will vary, but it'll be good for high/max settings in most titles.

Here are my two cents.
- If you're not interested into overclocking, you could wait for the non-k Skylakes and the relative H series motherboards. It's a choice that pretty much limits your upgrades later on, but if 1300 $/€/£ sounds too high, you can trim off a couple tens there.
- The 390x is literally a slightly overclocked 290x with (perhaps and varying on partner) better thermal dissipation. Besides that, there is no reason to go for a 390x.
If you want to take the advice and decide to go for its older brother, get a Sapphire Tri-X 290x, otherwise go for it. A GTX 970 would also be pretty fine.
- Crucial is fine, but I'd go for G.Skill out of personal taste. Just make sure you won't have clearance issues with the case or the heatsink. The True Spirit looks like a slimmer version of the Hyper 212 EVO from the images.
- A 650w PSU is cutting it a bit too close if you're going AMD. I'd go for something like 750w just for mind and soul safety.
- Seagate or WD is a matter of taste (and luck). I pretty much never bought/made someone buy me a WD in my entire life, Seagates ran perfectly fine. I've still got an old 320gb model running perfectly fine. Yet, they're the ones that fail the most judging by the communities, so it really is up to you.