A Question About WIndows.old Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

linex12

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Hello, everyone! I updated to Windows 10 and now there is Windows.old folder in my C: drive and it's up 20Gb. So, my question is can I delete the folder without losing any data on my PC. I've read that the folder will be deleted by itself four weeks after the update. Is that true? I've also read that this folder is just BackUp of my data, so actually, I won't lose any data cause everything is at its place. This is just a copy of the data. Is that true, too?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

No you shouldn't but just double check all the main folders in there for stuff that you think you might not have already got and want from it before using the...

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
It is as what Mac266 to you and you will need it for that. But if you are happy with win10 and do not think you will want to downgrade at you can remove it using the disk cleanup tool that can be found in the accessories folder of your start menu or just by searching for it using the start menu.

Once running it you can then select disk clean up options. One of them being the option to remove files from previous versions of windows.

linex12

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

So, let's say I'm happy with Windows 10. If I delete the folder, I won't lose any data such as photos, music, documents etc, right?

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014

No you shouldn't but just double check all the main folders in there for stuff that you think you might not have already got and want from it before using the the disk clean-up tool to remove it properly like i said above. As that is what I did and I haven't had any issues.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.