Win 8.1->10. After reset, booting up like restart instead when waking up from sleep (No BSOD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kongbingleek

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Hello! I've upgraded to Win10 a month ago but recently i just did a reset to make it boot faster. It did the trick but i seem to lose the ability to store my work when i hit sleep. Whenever i open my lid/hit the power button to wake, it seems to restart. No BSOD. Event viewer logged unexpected shutdown. Nothing else. No minidump. Should i do a fresh install? I'm worried that the drivers from MS Update during the upgrade don't fit. Never had this issue before the reset. Is it correct that i assume the laptop only works with drivers from the manufacturer?

The drive is a Samsung EVO 840. Win8.1 is cloned directly from the HDD when the laptop is shipped using Samsung Magician. Only the C drive is being cloned, not the recovery partition.

RAM checked using memtest. No issue. 4GB soldered on board+4GB Kingston DDR3L SODIMM.

My laptop is a Asus Zenbook UX303.

Hope to hear more from you guys! I hope the sleep still works. [been hearing it does no good to SSDs though? Anyone could verify? I'm using hibernation now instead]

Solution
You may be having issues with hybrid shutdown, a feature that decreases boot time by loading important drivers and fragments of the kernel into a special hard drive page file before shutting down. This has the consequence of not stopping the CPU timer when you perform a regular shutdown, and sometimes the RAM usage remains.

To disable hybrid boot, type "Power Options" in Start and select Power Options (not Power and sleep settings). On the sidebar, select "Choose what the power buttons do." Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Under "Shutdown settings," uncheck the box next to “Turn on fast startup." Save changes, then reboot your PC and see if anything is different.

Slashgeek

Admirable
You may be having issues with hybrid shutdown, a feature that decreases boot time by loading important drivers and fragments of the kernel into a special hard drive page file before shutting down. This has the consequence of not stopping the CPU timer when you perform a regular shutdown, and sometimes the RAM usage remains.

To disable hybrid boot, type "Power Options" in Start and select Power Options (not Power and sleep settings). On the sidebar, select "Choose what the power buttons do." Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Under "Shutdown settings," uncheck the box next to “Turn on fast startup." Save changes, then reboot your PC and see if anything is different.

Solution

kongbingleek

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015

But it seems that the shutdown is perfectly fine. Hibernation works as well...for now. I had failed hibernation before another reset. Shall try disabling the fast startup and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.