BSOD - driver_irql_not_less_or_equal mouhid.sys - Windows 10 Recent Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capefearless

Honorable
May 4, 2013
I got a Blue Screen this Morning with the message: driver_irql_not_less_or_equal mouhid.sys.

Computer rebooted and is working fine now (so far)

I ran whocrashed and it reported:

On Wed 8/26/2015 4:53:40 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\082615-6250-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mouhid.sys (0xFFFFF800D3E4107F)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x19, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800D3E4107F)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mouhid.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: HID Mouse Filter Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

System Information:
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 10240
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 970A-UD3P
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor AMD586, level: 21
6 logical processors, active mask: 63
RAM: 8552824832 bytes total

So, it appears that the mouse driver is the culprit. I just updated to Windows 10 3-4 days ago, coming from Windows 7. Noticed an issue that the middle mouse button would not function correctly in SketchUp. Disabled/removed drivers, plugged in mouse, windows found new driver. No help. Changed mice and it worked fine. Figured it was just a bad mouse and moved on. everything fine until today.

Checked for latest driver and it is up to date. Looked at driver details and there appear to be 2 drivers (yes, there were 2 drivers the other day, not sure if this is normal, a remnant of changing over from W7, or an issue so I left it alone then and now).

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys

Should I delete one of the drivers? Both and reinstall? Switch to another driver or...?

This driver stuff scares me a little as I know conflicts can create issues and this is my production machine.

I searched and didn't see this issue, please link me to it if I'm mistaken.

Please help. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Solution
In general, a single, non-repeating BSOD in your case may be caused by a lot of things, not just a bad mouse driver, especially if you report that you have been using a mouse on the same OS installation for a long time without problems. If it does not happen again, you don't have to worry. If the mouse driver fails again, though, you can try performing a System Restore to the time before the problems started occurring.

Slashgeek

Admirable
In general, a single, non-repeating BSOD in your case may be caused by a lot of things, not just a bad mouse driver, especially if you report that you have been using a mouse on the same OS installation for a long time without problems. If it does not happen again, you don't have to worry. If the mouse driver fails again, though, you can try performing a System Restore to the time before the problems started occurring.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS