Windows 7 on my SATA and 2nd O/S install Windows 10 on my SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

leland16

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Ok so I have win7 on my SATA, would like to keep that there and do a fresh install of 10 on SSD as I hear some people aren't having great experiences w/ it so this is more of a test and DirectX 12 for Ark is coming ;) so anyways.

-Sata - windows 7, possibility to upgrade to 10
-SSD - clean with a few games on it
-I want Sata to keep win7
-I want SSD to have fresh win10

Is this possible to do with 1 windows 7 cd key? My assumption is the SSD will need windows 7 first and then I upgrade it to 10? I haven't messed around with dual booting much except on a Mac. Thanks guys.

Solution
When you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, it will be replaced with the new operating system. The only way to return to Windows 7 is to revert the installation using the "Go back to Windows 7" option in the Windows 10 start menu. If you try to run both Windows 7 and a fresh install of Windows 10 on the same PC using the same upgrade path, your Windows 7 may be deactivated, and you will have to activate it with another Windows 7 key. Alternatively, you can buy a brand new copy of Windows 10 and install it on your SSD. In either case, once you have a dual-boot system, the Windows 10 bootloader will appear on startup, allowing you to choose between either operating system to boot.

Slashgeek

Admirable
When you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, it will be replaced with the new operating system. The only way to return to Windows 7 is to revert the installation using the "Go back to Windows 7" option in the Windows 10 start menu. If you try to run both Windows 7 and a fresh install of Windows 10 on the same PC using the same upgrade path, your Windows 7 may be deactivated, and you will have to activate it with another Windows 7 key. Alternatively, you can buy a brand new copy of Windows 10 and install it on your SSD. In either case, once you have a dual-boot system, the Windows 10 bootloader will appear on startup, allowing you to choose between either operating system to boot.

Solution
As stated, you cant dual boot windows 7 that was upgraded to windows 10. Its one or the other.

Here is what I would suggest if you don't want to buy full version of windows 10:
Clone Windows 7 to SSD
Remove windows 7 partition for HDD, and create new partitition
Save disk image of windows 7 to HDD
Upgrade windows 7 to Windows 10.

This way you have windows 10 on SSD, and a backup image of windows 7 if you decide to revert after the option is gone from the OS.

leland16

Distinguished
May 13, 2008

Thanks that answered my question. I'll look into buying a 2nd copy then. I can probably find cheap Win7 somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.