Port Forwarding Issue (2 Routers)

IJHM620

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
Hello, I am trying to host a Garry's Mod server for myself and my friends to play on. I have two routers; one is an Arris TG1672 which is a modem/router in one unit, as well as a NETGEAR WNDR3400V2 which I only have as an extension device so to speak, as my Ethernet cable cannot reach the main modem. So that said, I tried port forwarding off of the NETGEAR router, and no ports are working for others (on GMod they get "Server is not responding.") So I was wondering if there is a way to be able to port forward off of the NETGEAR router successfully, as I said before I cannot reach the main modem/router due to my Ethernet cable length. Any help would be fantastic!

Portforwarding at the netgear is useless in itself as the other router does not know what to do with the traffic and is thus blocking it.

You need to configure netgear to portforward to your computer, and the arris to portforward to your netgear router.

The ideal setup for this is to use a powerline adapter to go from arris to netgear. This gets rid of wifi and will provide a faster more stable connection to netgear.
Then reconfigure netgear as an access point. This allows the arris to still provide all the addressing and logic. Then you would only portforward on the arris.
Alternatively you could set the arris to be a modem only and disable wifi, dhcp, and nat and then use the netgear as the only/primary router.