Installing Windows 10 On Old Hardrive Containing Windows 8.1 On A New Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Sjogren

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
Hey.
I am gonna upgrade my pc very soon and I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with. I am gonna switch pretty much everything except my hardrive.
I am aware that I will have to re-install windows so I am gonna buy windows 10 home 64bit. My question is, is it possible to upgrade my windows so I will keep all my files. I already have windows 8.1 on it so why wouldn't it work?

I just wanna make sure so that I don't screw anything up. If there is any others solutions that you can give me feel free. My highest priority is to keep my files, I really don't wanna re-install all my programs again :(

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Do these.
Boot up the system in your new rig. Get the windows 10 iso. The upgrade with keep everything option. If you change your mobo your license will expire. So you'll need that product key(that you are buying) after the upgrade. So after upgrading is complete, enter the key and then you'll have everything you last had and a new license. But one question though. If you are changing everything then wouldn't your driver change. I mean same driver won't work in the new rig.??.

Diganta Das

Distinguished
Do these.
Boot up the system in your new rig. Get the windows 10 iso. The upgrade with keep everything option. If you change your mobo your license will expire. So you'll need that product key(that you are buying) after the upgrade. So after upgrading is complete, enter the key and then you'll have everything you last had and a new license. But one question though. If you are changing everything then wouldn't your driver change. I mean same driver won't work in the new rig.??.

Solution

Jonathan Sjogren

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
But I have a Dell pc, and they say that their pre-installed windows is for Dell pcs only. And I have read that if I change my motherboard my windows wont be activated. Wich is a problem. So you are claiming that if I upgrade to windows 10 now I don't have to buy it? I still think I will need to buy a legit copy cause of dell and their pre-installed os. That's what I have read atleast.

Diganta Das

Distinguished

You didn't understood ,upgrade your pc when the new one comes. It'll ask for a new key. Then provide the one you were buying.

Jonathan Sjogren

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015

Ok so I will still be able to keep all my files when I install windows 10? That is a paid version scince my license will indeed expire when I change my mobo. So does it count that I still have a previous version of windows running? Cause that is the requirements to upgrade and keep all your files.

Diganta Das

Distinguished

As i said you'll have to upgrade within the os then you'll be able to keep your files. After that you activate the windows using the key you buy.

Hi Jonathan, if you did buy other legit copy of the OS ( win7 or win8/8.1), you are fine to upgrade to win10 for free, the previous OS from dell is void because you changed the MB. After done the upgrade, if you want you can do the clean install win10, how to http://www.cnet.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-10/#!
When you do the upgrade you have to select the "keep all my files, apps and windows setting" during the upgrade, if you don't want to reinstall the programs again, only upgrade to win10 from win8.1. If you select keep my files only, then all of programs will be gone. Check those links I added before.

Jonathan Sjogren

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015

Aha ok now I understand, that was actually kinda obvious when you think about it xD Thanks for the help man

Diganta Das

Distinguished

Happy to help:bounce: :wahoo:. Now the right way to end a thread is to select a best answer. Others will be helped by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.