explorer.exe constant restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishbowl38

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
I've upgraded to windows 10 on release and have been away on holiday for the past 2 weeks. Today I come back to find explorer.exe keeps restarting about once every 2 mins and is causing full screen games to minimise and change the computer focus to nothing which is very frustrating

I've searched the web and cannot find any solutions so far.

I'm looking for someone's who's willing to go through it step by step to try and diagnose the issue. Thanks in advanced.

Solution
Yeah, I have learned my lesson about upgrading a work PC too soon before the problems are worked out and programs migrate over.
In my opinion, nobody will know this issues solution because the issue may be an internal problem from microsoft which most likely will need fixing on their side. I would suggest talking to them directly for further assistance.
Sorry for not being helpful.
My last suggestion is to check your hard drive. If the computer constantly has issues accessing locations in your drive, it may time out and crash.

fishbowl38

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm really looking for alternative solutions without re install since I have a lot of programs set up here for work purposes and are difficult to get all set up again. I guess re-install or system restore is my last resort

gilbadon

Distinguished
Yeah, I have learned my lesson about upgrading a work PC too soon before the problems are worked out and programs migrate over.
In my opinion, nobody will know this issues solution because the issue may be an internal problem from microsoft which most likely will need fixing on their side. I would suggest talking to them directly for further assistance.
Sorry for not being helpful.
My last suggestion is to check your hard drive. If the computer constantly has issues accessing locations in your drive, it may time out and crash.

Solution

fishbowl38

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

Just solved the problem. After being frustrated for a while, I decided to downgrade to win 7 and back to win 10 again since I didn't have a system restore set up. However that didn't work. The fault was from an program called Autodesk Inventor and a conflicting dll file called gtkcommon.dll. I ended up deleting it and it fixed the issue. Thanks for your support! I'm going to put yours as a solution since it will most likely fix the problems of those who stumble upon this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.