PC won't POST, turns off after less than a second

Ivan Vasilevski

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Good day to you all!

First off, here are my current specs and equipment :

Mobo : http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/pegatron-2ab5-motherboard-corporation-specs/
PSU : Seasonic S12-550, 550W
GPU : Sapphire R9-270X
CPU : Intel core i7 2600K
3 x Xilence 120mm fans
HDD : Hitachi Sata 7200rpm
RAM : 4 x 4GB HyperXFury 1866MHz

Problem :

PC turns ON, CPU, GPU and case fans turn on, no beeps ( got nowhere to install sys speaker ), then turns off after half a second.

What I did try :

removed all components, unscrewed mobo, placed it on a piece of cardboard ( inside the case ),
removed RAM, left only one stick in, tried booting w/o HDD and DVD-ROM. All with no luck.

What do you think the problem might be? I am getting quite desperate and frustrated here, spent a lot on the new setup, it WAS working fine for a week, and now this happened. I work 12hrs/day and it really makes me feel crappy when I have to come home and spend the remaining free time fixing the issue I know really little about..

Note : GPU, RAM, PSU are all brand new, a week old.

Please help, I looked through the troubleshooting thread and tried relevant tests from there, what else is there for me to do? Even tried the paperclip "trick", the PSU reacts fine, not that it is relevant.

HELP!

Ivan Vasilevski

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Haven't actually tried that - if the case fan doesn't continue spinning, it is a PSU issue, right?

Ivan Vasilevski

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Still, not really sure how relevant the results will be if it turns the fan on and keeps it that way, since the full load is much bigger than just one fan :(

The thing I find interesting is that my build worked for a week and then this malfunction happened in the middle of a gaming session. \o/

Ivan Vasilevski

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Tested the PSU on another PC, the same thing happens - fans turn on for a split second then turn off. So now I know what is the problem, but what caused it? Should I get a more powerful PSU?

Ivan Vasilevski

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Tested each component on two different computers with 2 different PSUs, and only my PSU turned out to be the issue. What can cause that and what is the next step in fixing and preventing that kind of behaviour in the future?

Ivan Vasilevski

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

The problem was exactly what you said. The PSU came defected and I was RMAd it, expecting a new one today! Thank you!