Does my old motherboard supports Windows 10?

Solution
these power functions are basically sleep states. Like having your hard drive stop spinning after 15 minutes of being idle, or shutting putting usb devices in to a low power mode when not in use. Windows 7 has these functions but they are mostly off by default, Windows 8 turned them on by default and exposed lots of problems, bugs in the machines BIOS, bug in 3rd party hardware (the actual electronics) bug in the 3rd party drivers for the hardware. Windows 8 got blamed for the problems. Many OEMs just made new drivers and disabled the low power state features. Newer hardware that was made in the window 8 timeframe is much more likely to work correctly but there still are lots of bugs in various BIOS versions. I have looked at...
It is a old machine and the last bios update was in 2010. I would expect it to work on windows 10 but I would expect that the advanced power functions not to work correctly. Most likely you would have to turn them off for many devices. I've, set the system to run in higher performance mode or devices will be put to sleep and not wake up.

Other than that, the machine looks pretty generic and should work.

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

Thanks for the response! Anyway, what are these advanced power functions? I tried searching in Google and I haven't found anything. Are these functions so important part of the OS? But if this was your unit, would you upgrade it to Win10 or should I just stick to Win7?

these power functions are basically sleep states. Like having your hard drive stop spinning after 15 minutes of being idle, or shutting putting usb devices in to a low power mode when not in use. Windows 7 has these functions but they are mostly off by default, Windows 8 turned them on by default and exposed lots of problems, bugs in the machines BIOS, bug in 3rd party hardware (the actual electronics) bug in the 3rd party drivers for the hardware. Windows 8 got blamed for the problems. Many OEMs just made new drivers and disabled the low power state features. Newer hardware that was made in the window 8 timeframe is much more likely to work correctly but there still are lots of bugs in various BIOS versions. I have looked at one system that would work fine for the first 16 times it went to low power mode (sleep) but would bugcheck on the 17th cycle, then would start over again for 16 sleep cycles and a bugcheck on number 17. Turned out to be a BIOS bug but the vendor updated the BIOS and just blocked the function rather than fix it.

anyway, you can upgrade to windows 10 and you have 30 days to revert back automatically if you wish.
As more and more machines are being updated and allow automatic feedback to microsoft, microsoft will know more about your hardware than we will. They will disable features that are known not to work.

even on my new machine, I ran cmd.exe as an admin then
powercfg.exe /energy
and looked at the report to find that microsoft disabled some hardware feature because it did not work.

On my wifes machine windows 10 was rebooting her machine every few days, it turned out the old motherboard she has had an asmedia USB 3.0 chip in it that has known bugs, the USB 3.0 BUS would hang and windows rebooted the machien to fix the problem. I ended up disabling the USB 3.0 Chip in the BIOS and moved here mouse and keyboard to the usb 2.0 chip and it does not reboot anymore. (she really does not have any real usb 3.0 devices anyway)

bigest problem for windows 10 is microsoft will not know which chips you have on your motherboard, each chip will have different bugs in the electronics. The chipset vendor and motherboard vendor know about the bugs but windows has to debug the problem and figure out what to do. (disable features, or override defaults in a driver) Many OEMs have made windows 10 updates because they know the microsoft generic driver will not work correctly on their version of the motherboard. (they know their own hardware bugs)

Solution

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

Wow! Thank you for taking your time writing that. very informative indeed. Thanks! I think I'm gonna start downloading my Win10 since it has a revert function anyway. Thanks mate! :D

Jimbocous1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013
Definitely BIOS issues here with Win 10, at least x64 version will not upgrade due to CMPXCHG16b not supported by latest BIOS (F9, for rev 1.0 board). Interested to know if anyone has gotten around this on x64 version (x86 32 bit doesn't need that option)

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

Hi! It's been a year now and Win10 ran just fine in this system. :)