5.1 Sound in Microsoft Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

linex12

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Hello, everyone!' I have Logitech X-530 and when I play a video in Microsoft Edge or any browser only the front speakers work as usual. But sometimes, only in Microsoft Edge, when I play a video in YouTube the player says "An error occurred" and then all the speakers start working. I don't know how but my question is isn't there a way to make all the speakers work not only when "An error occurred"?

Solution

Actually, from the moment you said that there was an error and then speakers "working" it became a driver issue. Just because something's "working" doesn't mean it's working correctly ;)

Did you try the speaker fill settings yet?

Slashgeek

Admirable
Try clearing your browsing data from Microsoft Edge. Click the icon of three horizontal dots at the upper right corner. Select Settings. Under "Clear browsing data," click the button labeled "Choose what to clear." Select the first three checkboxes. Press clear.

linex12

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

Yes, everything is alright with the driver. I updated it a week ago, so it's the lastest.
Actually, on my old PC all the speakers worked, no matter which player i used - YouTube, Winamp, Windows Media Player, KMPlayer etc. Of course, the sound wasn't 5.1 surroud. It was runing Windows XP. Its sound card was integrated in ASRock K7S41GX. As far as I can remember, the sound processor was by C-Media. Now, on my new PC it is by Realtek.

Well, newest drivers are 2015/6/25, so they should be good. Might as well try reinstalling them though, always a good idea to double check driver installations if you get driver errors.

linex12

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

The motherboard is ASRock FM2A78M-HD+.
About the sound playback test - If you mean the sound test which tests if the speakers work properly - yes, everything is alright there. All the speakers work separately.
About the Jack Information:
The green one is L/R
The blue one is RL/RR
The purple one is C/SUB
I will upload a picture (I'm Bulgarian and my Windows is the Bulgarian version. So, Л Д is L R, СЛ СД is RL RR and Ц Съб is C SUB. Заден панел means Rear panel
p9Vt2BTpp

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the picture.

I noticed your Realtek Audio manager icon in system tray is of the old version, could it be that?. Maybe try updating from http://www.realtek.com.tw/default.aspx

But before you do, people who have updated, myself included had the grey and black jacks swap, but in your case only have the 3 might not happen. Just something to be aware of if you decide to give it a go.

downloads > high def codecs > The two dark blue 32Bit/64Bit links at the top are the latest.

linex12

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Thank you for the idea. I haven't though of updating the Realtek drivers. I hope something change. One more thing:
What kind of speakers do you use? If they are 5.1, do all of them work when you play a mp3 or a video on the Internet?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My speakers are the Logitech 540s down firing sub, 5.1. its got a stereo button for all channels to play all speakers when playing stereo stuff. I un press the button to decoded channels when I play games in 5.1, you might have something similar, or maybe software. Songs are recorded in stereo and most internet videos aren't coded for multi channel. But can do a test, think youtube has a 5.1 tester.

linex12

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
When I play a game which has the option for surround sound, all the speakers work properly. So, they're installed properly.
Well, I updated the drivers but the Realtek Audio Manager is still the same - no change. When I do an online surround test(not in YouTube, it doesn't work there) it is alright. All the speakers work separately.

Sounds like they are working correctly then, the only thing that wasn't working was your old setup!

Anyway, you can enable "speaker fill" or the like in the sound properties, and it should automatically fill the other channels when there isn't a 5.1 input available.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Make sure you reboot. Might need to install twice. The UI should change, the driver download is big enough to include, 100mb or so if I remember.

As for the surround test, if playback devices play each speaker properly then it's set correctly. YouTube sound tester sometimes people have trouble with, I'm not sure why. Long as Windows and games are playing sounds correctly, id go by that.

linex12

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

I installed it twice, reboot the PC and nothing happened. Still the same. But anyways, the thread wasn't about my Realtek driver. It is about Microsoft Edge and the YouTube error which makes all my speakers work. I've made this thread because I wanted to ask you if there is not way to make all the speakers work because, you know, when the all the speakers work when the error occurred, there should be a way to make them all work always.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry if it felt I was derailing your thread it's not so. Microsoft Edge and YouTube are using your Realtek audio so was checking to see if your drivers were up to date. Upon seeing your Audio manager icon which I haven't seen in a very long time appeared it wasn't. Why its not changing has got me puzzled and might be a reason you're having trouble.

There's an option to turn off automatic device driver installation in Win10 and there is a sticky about it in Windows10 forums on Toms. If you're still getting the problem after updating from Realtek.com, turn off automatic driver install, uninstall Realtek and then reinstall using the Windows10 driver from Realtek.

Actually, from the moment you said that there was an error and then speakers "working" it became a driver issue. Just because something's "working" doesn't mean it's working correctly ;)

Did you try the speaker fill settings yet?

Solution

linex12

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

I marked your response as a solution by mistake. Sorry about that.
Actually, I don't think the driver is to blame because in a game which supports 5.1 Surround, the speakers work just fine and in Chrome there's no such error unlike in Microsoft Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.